Chapter 80

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!" you asked terrified. "I'M NOT GOING TO LET YOU DO THAT!!"

        "Keep your voice down!" Sonic said in a hushed yell. "We have no idea who could be right outside those doors."

        "I DON'T CARE!! If you think you're going to sacrifice your freedom for the greater good, that's not going to happen!!"

        The blue hedgehog grabbed onto your shoulders. "Listen, (Y/N), there's nothing you can say that will change my mind about this."

        "Then tell me why? Why does it have to be you?"

        Sonic was silent for a minute before a large, snarky grin appeared on his face. "With some extra power on my side, I can finally beat Knux in arm wrestling."

        You crossed your arms in anger, "That's not a legitimate reason, Sonic!"

        "Fine, I'd never have to brush my teeth again."

        "Sonic!!"

        "Sheesh, lighten up! I--"

        "Lighten up, Lighten up!!" you began, "You're putting your life on the line, and you want me to lighten up and just roll with it?!"

        "Better my life than yours!" Sonic argued.

        "No way!! You're the embodiment of hope for those people down there! Without you, they'd give up in an instant! But I'm just some simple rookie, some untrained kid, a newbie that isn't worth anything!"

        "Knock it off, (Y/N)! Where is all this coming from?"

        You didn't know yourself. You just said the first thing that came to mind. However, your anger and distressed lead you to new thoughts. Why were you truly here? Why did they ask you, of all people, to help stop Eggman and join the freedom fighters? You've asked before, but the answers you received now seemed...vague or even false. And now, fueled with desperation to keep the true freedom fighter from danger, you were ready to get some answers.

        "I don't belong here! I don't belong in the Acorn Kingdom, and I certainly don't belong as a freedom fighter. So tell me, Sonic, why? Why did you make me, of all the people in the world, part of the resistance?!"

        "Because you're a great fighter--"

        "THAT'S NOT THE TRUE REASON!!"

         "I TOLD SALLY YOU SHOULD JOIN!!"

        "BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING SO STUPID!?"

        "IT WASN'T STUPID!!"

        "THEN WHY?!?!"

        "I COULDN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE, ALRIGHT!!!"

        You stopped, your heart pounding from the adrenaline. Your throat, coarse from the yelling. Sonic seemed almost the same, his eyes were shut tightly and his hands balled up into fists. The two of you were quiet, silence floated between you. The blue hedgehog took a deep breath before relaxing his fists slightly. His eyes opened, but he only stared at the ground and his feet.

        "It was all my fault back then. Sally was roboticized, Antoine was in a coma, Bunnie had disappeared, and you...I didn't even know if you were alive. No matter how hard I fought or ran, I couldn't get rid of the guilt. That's why, when the world miraculously restarted, I promised to make things right for everyone."

        You couldn't say a word. Even if you could, you didn't know what you would say. You knew your eyes were glossy at this point. It probably wasn't the best idea to release your feelings during a mission, but yet, Sonic continued.

        "When the Genesis Wave rebooted the world, and you weren't with us...I took it as a sign that you were gone. After all, the Genesis Wave can't bring people back to life. I was such an idiot; I should've at least looked for you, but I didn't. I lost hope, gave up; two things a freedom fighter should never do."

        Sonic stepped closer to you until very little space was left between the two of you. Sonic was taller than you, allowing him to look straight down, into your own pupils.

        "But there you were, on the news, defeating a giant robot all by yourself. I thought it was a moment of redemption, a chance to make things right between us. I helped the others remember who you were, and after... a lot of debating, I convinced them to let you on the team."

        "Why would you do all that?" you asked softly. "I didn't remember a thing, you could've just let me be in Soumerca."

        Suddenly, you felt your chin being raised slightly, and a set of soft, gently lips landed on yours. You didn't resist, but instead closed your eyes and melted with the kiss. It was gentle, sweet, and kind, completely unexpected after the yelling you previously did. You felt the hedgehog lightly take hold of your hands, placing something inside your palm.

        Sonic ended the moment right before red lights and blaring alarms rang out through the area.

        "You gotta hide. Eggman will walk out of his mobile to watch me, I'll make sure of it. You just make sure that while he's distracted, you place that drive in his main computer on the Egg Mobile. " Sonic explained.

        The blue hedgehog ran under the air duct, and made a foot hold with his hands once again. You complied this time, being launched up into the air and grabbing hold of the grate. Just as you pulled your body into the air duct, the door slid open. You heard Sonic, smashing advancing robots, and putting on a good fight for show. However, hundreds of robots swarmed the room, easily overpowering the lone freedom fighter. Out of sight, you could hear the cackling from the rotten egghead.

        "At long last my dear friend, the time has come for you to understand my genius."

        You poked your head out of the vent slightly, only to see Sonic with his ever cocky grin. He gave you a quick glance, one that filled you with both confidence and dread before he looked back at his foe.

I'm finally back you guys!!!! It's been so long since my last update, and (not going to lie) that partially because I lost inspiration with this story and the fandom itself. However, the second I got my hands on Sonic forces, I was pumped to start writing again!! If you haven't played the game yet, I suggest you do, it's amazing!! I'll try to update again, possibly tomorrow even, now that I know which direction this book will take and how it will end!! Thanks for reading you guys!!!