Chapter 85

"Try again, (Y/N)," Jules persisted as he stood over you. You laid on the dirt, having been thrown around by one of Jules' defensive moves.

        The two of you were sparing in an opening settled within the Great Forest. While majority of your team members were busy building up Knothole's defenses and the Cosmic Reset Button, you asked Sonic's father to train you for your fight against Sonic. You had skipped your training for too long, and now was when you needed to push yourself to the extreme.

        You picked yourself off the ground, brushing off the dirt that blended into your clothing. You picked up your (W/C), and faced your opponent.

        "You need to remember, Sonic is quick on his feet, both physically and mentally. He will be able to adapt to your fighting style quick, and deliver a counter attack just as fast."

        "Okay," you began,  moving pieces of fallen hair out of your line of vision. You stretched your arms across your body. "So, how am I supposed to have the upper hand against someone so fast?"

        "The element of surprise," Jules answered, you watched him twist his metallic fist. "The only way to keep up with a speedster is by staying one step ahead at all time. The second he lands ahead of you, he will stay ahead, and you will lose."

        "You make it sound way too easy," you muttered with your hands on your hips.

        "For you, it truly is," the robian stated. He walked towards the outside of the clearing, near the trees. "The branches and the environment we are in will be your advantage. If you place Sonic on a city street or an open plain, he can run to his heart's content without a single worry. However," Jules touched a tree's bark with his robotic hand, his eyes scanning the cluttered mess of wood and bush, "the second Sonic steps into an area of many obstacles and hazardous objects, his running his hindered. You, (Y/N) have grown accustomed to the trees, and can use them to your benefit. You will have the upper hand in this situation. Sonic will have to worry about the unknown environment as well as your attacks. All you have to think about--"

        Jules turned around, back towards the clearing, only to find it empty of all life mobian life. He chuckled to himself, scanning the multitude of branches and treetops that surrounded him.

        "Once you have the upper hand, (Y/N), you cannot waste it. Choose the wrong move, and you will fall behind."

        Jules sauntered into the center of the clearing and closed his eyes. He could hear the gentle wind whispering through the trees as well as the scratching the leaves created as they moved. This was the advantage Jules was talking about. Your opponent would have to focus on your location, you just needed to stay out of their line of vision until you made an attack, an attack they didn't see coming. As Sonic's father focused his attention on the sounds around him, you used those very some sounds to cover your footsteps. Suddenly, you shot out of the grove of trees just as the wind picked up. You delivered a roundhouse kick to Jules' torso, and while you were certain it hurt your leg more than him, your sparring partner still stumbled slightly showing that he was indeed off-guard by your attack.

        A happy smile stretched across your muzzle, a feeling of accomplishment washing over your body. You jumped in the air, "Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!"

        Jules regained his balance almost immediately. He placed a hand on your shoulder, holding you on the ground. "I really hope you don't start celebrating in the middle of your fight."

        You immediately went to back a serious look. "Of course, sir. You can count on me sir!"

        Sonic's father chuckled. "I believe you, (Y/N). Now, how about we get back to Knothole. I think that's enough training for the day."

        You followed Jules out of the clearing, making your way back to the hidden village. Upon arrival, you were greeted by Bernadette. You parted ways with Jules as he left with his wife to the other freedom fighters. You decided to go visit the scientists and inventors to check their progress. You found the lab within the village, a large building that housed all of Uncle Chuck's old inventions from the past. You pulled on the heavy oak door, only to have a dark cloud of smoke shoot at your face.

        You cough harshly, announcing your arrival for everyone in the lab. "Oh! Sorry about that smoke, (Y/N)," your grandfather said, while scratching his hairline with a wrench. Sir Charles offered you a wet rag to wipe your face with.

        "Thank you, Uncle Chuck," you began, wiping your face of the grime in your pores. "It's no problem, grandpa. How's the reset button coming along?"

        "It's coming along smoothly," Charles answered. He moved back over to the machine with you following behind.

        Tails was rolled under the machine, performing maintenance work below. Muttski was handing the fox parts and tools that he required. Your grandfather was going over some blue prints on a table in the corner. His robotic spider was holding a compass, drawing necessary circles wherever they were needed. Finally, Sir Charles was working on coding with Nicole on a separate computer. Once the machine was completed, the coding program would be uploaded onto the Cosmic Reset Button.

        "Right now, we are completing three different parts of the machine at once," Muttski explained, handing Tails a screwdriver.

        "At this current rate, we should be finished within the thirty-two hours!" Nicole exclaimed, her digital body floating near the computer.

        "It's simply marvelous what a team can accomplish!!" your grandfather announced happily. He rolled his chair over to the wall, where multiple diagrams and plans were nailed above.

        "That's great!" you complimented. You looked down at the fox, whom seemed focused on his work and not the conversation. You hadn't talked to the fox since the mission.

        "How about you, Tails?" you asked, sitting on the floor next to the fox's tool box.

        "Fine," Tails answered dully. "Muttski, I need a soldering pen."

        You picked up the pen from the tool box, and handed it to Tails. With a small, timid voice you began, "I never really got to talk to you about what happened, and--"

        Tails rolled out from under the machine, a small amount of oil clashing with his white muzzle. His eyes were dull, lacking their usual, happy shine. "It's fine, (Y/N)," Tails' voice crawled angrily out of his throat.

        The fox stood onto his feet. "I need some air." With that, the genius walked out the door into the street of Knothole.

        Your shoulders sagged with emotion, and you released a heavy sigh from your lips. You hung your head low, about ready to bang it on the wooden floor. Of course Tails would still be upset at what happened, though you couldn't tell if the anger was directed towards you on purpose or on accident.

        You felt a reassuring hand rest on your shoulder. "Don't let him worry you too much, (Y/N)," Sir Charles stated. "He just needs time."

        You released another sigh, "I know...but I should've been there for him."