Chapter 82

A constant ringing in the ears slowly brought you back from your sleep. The world of black around you was soothing, but menacing at the same time. You didn't realize it at the time, but behind the void of nothing rested the painful reality. You opened your eyes slowly, feeling like your eye lids were weighed down with bricks. Above was a common ceiling, familiar but far from memory. Your body was slowly awakening, beginning to feel the soft mattress below you and the blankets that rested on top. Stuffed animals from childhood supervised you, unblinking eyes never leaving your figure. You attempted to sit up, only to feel an unbearable pain in your spine. You immediately fell back again, your head once again on the soft, feathered pillow.

You were in your bedroom, back in the Acorn Kingdom. For a moment, you were happy, ignorant of reality. You were ready to be with your family, best friend and...and....

Just like that, the bliss ended.

Sonic

The Blue Blur

The World Hero

The Beloved Freedom Fighter

The Ultimate Sacrificer

The Machine

The Forced Traitor

The Deadly Weapon

Everything that happened on the Death Egg came rushing back. Emotions flooded your mind. The fear and adrenaline you possessed on the mission pressed the sadness and guilt away from thought. But now, here you were, alone in a vacant room with no one around. And with that, you felt the first warm tears race down your face.

All your emotions came crashing down at once. Sonic was gone, mentally dead, and you did nothing to prevent it. Your breath hitched out of control, making your struggle to grasp air. You covered your glossy eyes with your hands. Your entire body was shaking with sadness. Over and over again your mind replayed the scene. His natural body collapsing to the ground from shock. Smoke from the roboticizer stinging your eyes. Finding your friend now replaced with metal and weapons. Revelation hit you like a brick at this moment; Sonic was more than a friend at this point.

Sonic wasn't just a fellow freedom fighter. He wasn't just a comrade in the fight for freedom. Sonic wasn't simply a mere friend to you anymore. Deep down, you knew the truth. Everything became clear the second your lips collided on the Death Egg. The signs were all there, your heart knew all along. Sonic was so much more than just a friend. This adventure brought you and Sonic closer together than anyone, including yourself, could have imagined.

From your first encounter in the city streets, to your fight with a mad spider bot. From your secret spy mission to Eggman's base, to your snowball fight in the frozen tundra. From your night together in Mazuri to the kiss on the Death Egg. It was clear, Chaos Emerald clear, in fact.

You fell in love with Sonic the Hedgehog....

But now, it was too late.

It's true what they say, you never realized what you have, until it's taken from your hands. You never know when you might be seeing someone for the last time. You would never seen Sonic's dazing emerald eyes, or ever listen to his iconic laugh. You would never see him wearing his common smile, and you'll never get to see him happy ever again. He gave it all away, because he believed you and the rest of the mobains were worth his life. He did it, because he loved you too!!

You cried aloud in sadness, your entire world was crumbling apart!! You never felt this way before, when you remembered Sally being roboticized, or when you recalled Antoine in his coma. The pains of the old, forgotten world didn't come close to the pain you felt now.

"(Y/N)?" a female voice whispered from the hall.

You didn't look up, since you immediately recognized your best friend's voice. You were in the comfort of your own home, but yet you couldn't muster the strength to look up at your childhood ally. You felt numbness everywhere, both physically and mentally. Almost like you were trapped in an eternal sad state.

"Tails and Amy brought you back home. I heard you went to the Death Egg........they told me as much as they could about what happened...with Sonic."

Your entire body flinched. Your breath hitched. More tears fell from your eyes.

"They don't understand completely....since," (B/N) was hesitant, "you....were the only one who truly knows what happened."

You felt your friend take a seat on the edge of your bed. You could tell she was waiting for you to speak. To give her a sign that you would be okay. But you hands still covered your eyes in a pitiful position. You couldn't say a word; you lacked any kind of feeling besides pain and sadness. Your mind seemed to cut you off from social interaction, from the world rotating around you.

"You're going to get through this, (Y/N)," your friend began. "I've been your friend through thick and thin, and you've supported me with everything in my life. You're smart, funny, and an incredibly strong fighter. Strong enough to be on the freedom fighter team! I know you, the real you! And I know that you'll figure out a way to deal with this!!"

".....no."

(B/N) was shocked, but she wasn't the only one. You didn't mean to say anything, but yet your mouth spoke on its own. You were able to grab a breath of air, and you brought your hands down from your face. You kept your eyes shut, not wanting your best friend to see your red, glossy pupils.

"...I-I can't simply deal with this," you quavered, your voice cracking. "I failed hi-him. I-I should've done something, anything, b-but I didn't. And now he's..."

You stopped, your breath began to hitch again. You were amazed when the tears flowed again; you thought you ran out already. Your shoulders were shaking, and you pulled your knees into your chest. You laid your head atop your knees, letting the hidden tears flow free.

You felt your best friend pull you into a comforting embrace, one that you desperately needed. Even in your weakest state, (B/N) was their to support you in your time of need.

"You'll get through this, (Y/N). Never give up, alright?"

Every memory you had with the blue hedgehog ran through your mind. You weren't going to get him back, he was gone for good. You continued to replay Sonic's last moments over and over again. If only there was some way to prevent this from happening. If only you could somehow reset the world. When you agreed to be a freedom fighter, you didn't know you would fall in love. And you especially didn't know you would lose him.

You were never expecting this.....