Chapter 5

"What was that about?" Sam asked while I placed what I had gathered onto the counter for him to check out. He sent a glare behind me, and I turned around to see that he was looking at Vanessa, disgust evident in his face.

I watched as Vanessa gave a tight lip smile to the cashier, who was a Wolf. A growl escaped my lips, causing the Wolf to instantly bow their head and turned back to see Sam bowing his head as well. "I have told you many times before, Wesley Sam, that you have to be nice to all customers and show an example to the other Halftons that work here," my voice was smooth with an edge as well as a growl. "You are almost twenty-eight years old. Set an example."

"But she's-"

"I know what she is," I snapped, giving him my best death glare, causing him to duck his head lower. "And I know what you are. That does not matter. We are supposed to be united against what has caused us to be apart." I took a deep breath and let it out, rubbing the bridge between my eyes. "I am close, Sam." I looked at him. "I am close to being finished, and I'm... scared. I have no idea what is going to happen to me, to us, or to the clans. I don't know who will survive or not." I took a deep breath and sighed, trying to keep my fear inside of me.

Sam stayed silent and looked at the items he was scanning. "Sorry," he muttered after a few minutes. "I should've known that it..."

I shrugged. "It doesn't matter," I replied. "Just... try to get along with them. Please? I need all the help I can get."

Sam looked up and gave me a teasing smile. "Anything for my best customer," he teased. "That'll be-"

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME!" a voice exclaimed, interrupting Sam. "MY BABY! PLEASE, SOMEONE, HELP MY BABY!"

I grimaced when my stone flashed against my chest. "Duty calls. Stay here, Brody." With that, I turned on my heel and ran out of the shop, following the trail that my gem was telling me to take.

Let's just hope I get to the babe in time. I did not want Vanessa to hate me.

***

I pushed myself faster than I had before. Sweat gleamed down my face and my back, and I was ready to take a nap. My breath came out in short pants, hating that I was being outrun by a Dark Force when it was still light.

After about twenty minutes later, the Dark Force stopped abruptly at a cliff and turned to look back at me.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as I tried to stop myself from going over the edge. Dust, dirt, and dead leaves made me move further than I wanted to, bringing me almost close to this Dead Force than had I wanted. I gave him my hardest glare and took a step forward, causing him to hold the baby over the cliff. "Don't. You. Dare," I said, my voice laced with venom.

"Then I need you to lissssten to me," the male said, causing me to raise an eyebrow. "Pleasssse."

"Why should I?" I asked. I bared my teeth at him and sent him a deadly glare when he moved the babe towards the edge of the cliff. "Ok! I will listen; just do not drop the child." My eyes widened in panic, and I help but feel panicked when he did that.

The male smirked and tucked the kid into his arms. He was... attractive, to say the least. He stood about 6'5 and was slender built. Sure, he did have muscles from what I could tell, and I knew that if there were a fight between us, I would have to use wit more so than strength. He had black, bushy hair that curled into his ears and moved into his dark black eyes. "Good girl," he praised, causing me to growl at him in a warning.

"I might be a Wolf and a bitch, but that does not mean to treat me like one," I all but growled out. I couldn't help but smirk when his eyes widened, and he ducked his head, nervous. "Now, you better start talking before my patience with you wears then."

"Firsssst you ssssshould know issss that I am a Sssnakesssston," he said. "We hide in the dark and worsssship it." Disgust was evident in his voice and his eyes. "I disagree with the way that our Masssster hassss treated usssss. There is the Dark Forcessss and then the Ssssnakessstonsss."

"So, ya'll shift into snakes?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He nodded. "Why wasn't I told that there were Snakestons?" Fury and hurt flashed through my eyes and my body. I couldn't believe that I wasn't told this. I thought I had gotten past all the hiding of everything between Faolon and me, but I guess it was just too good to be true.

"Don't be like that," the male said. "It'ssss-"

"Don't you dare say that it was for my "own protection,"" I snarled, baring my teeth at him. "I've been lied to and had stuff hidden from me for as long as I can remember." I moved a hand through my hair and tried to curb my anger before I got myself, or the child hurt. "I just want him to be honest with me, ya know?" I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before looking up. A frown flickered on my face when I saw the pity look on his face.

The male smirked a bit, probably seeing my glare. He sighed and grimaced, looking as if he had to go somewhere that he didn't want to go. "I have to go. My bossss contacted me. We ssstill have to talk."

I raised an eyebrow. "You seriously want to join my side of whatever?" I asked.

He nodded.

"How can I trust you?"

He smirked. "I didn't kill you that night when you were with your friend, nor am I killing you or the baby. Where sssshall we meet?"

I huffed, knowing that I had no choice but to trust him, for now. I'll kill him later if he gets too hard for me to handle. "At least tell me your name," I said in defeat.

"The name'ssss Ryan, Doll. But for you, you can call me anything," he said with a wink.

I gave him a deadpanned look, thinking that I would have to kill him sooner than later. Great, not only was I stuck with a Snakeston, but I was stuck with a player. "Just give me the baby and go. We will meet up at that old abandoned dojo on the corner Hans Cross and Avie Road."

Ryan smirked, and I saw a spark in his eye that told me that he was not going to give me the baby. "Have fun," with that, he tossed the baby into the gorge, causing me to cuss him out, jump down to save the baby.

Boy, I was going to kill him when I see him again.