Chapter 64

I slammed the truck door shut and grabbed the steering wheel. My whole body shook from anger, and it took all of myself control to take a deep breath and let it out.

"Martha?" my brother asked hesitantly. He hesitated but nuzzled my hand from its death grip on the steering wheel.

"I'm fine," I said coldly. "Let's just get this shit over with so that I can go home and take a shower."

"And go to bed?"

I didn't respond because there was no way in hell that I would be able to go to bed. I had to find out what Hermes and Kalron had left me. I had to find out when the battle was taking place and make sure that I was prepared for it. I knew that there was a chance I would not be able to complete being a tiger, so I had to be prepared for that.

"Martha," Brody warned.

I huffed and moved a hand through my hair. "I don't know. Ok?" I snapped, and my brother rolled his eyes. "All I know is that I have to get shit done."

"Well, you can't get shit done if you are dead," Brody snarked. "So you need to take care of yourself too."

I groaned, leaned back against the seat, and rubbed my eyes hard until I could see weird lights or something like that. "I can't, though," I said, "not when so many people are counting on me."

"They're counting on you to be alive," Brody said, "and sane. If you aren't those two things, then what is the point of trying to be the Almair?"

"There is no try, though, Brody," I said, and my voice cracked. "I am the Almair. I am the person that brings the clans together and makes sure that we are safe."

"And you are still sixteen," Brody said and looked at me like I was stupid. "You're still a kid."

I took one hand off of my face and gave him a side glance. "I have too much responsibility to be considered a kid," I said.

"Well, technically, you are still a kid," Brody sassed. "You might have too much responsibility to be considered one, but you are still one."

I rolled my eyes and pulled on my seatbelt. "Whatever," I mumbled and started the truck.

"I'm serious, though," Brody said while I drove away from Marcus's house and went to Shardul's house. "You are still a kid. You are still growing and need your sleep. You need a good night's sleep to process and be the best Almair that you can be."

I snorted and didn't say a word. I wasn't sure if getting enough sleep was enough to make me the "best" Almair that I could be and wasn't sure what would give me that title.

"You give yourself that title, Martha," Brody said as if he read my mind. "You prove it to us every single day."

I gave him a weird look. "Don't read my mind," I said. "It's creepy."

Brody grinned. "Do you want to know what is more creepy?" he asked and raised an eyebrow. A smirk appeared on his face, and I gave him a look before I looked forward. "Well?" he asked. "Do you?"

I pulled the truck into Shardul's driveway and parked it. I looked at my brother and studied him before I wrinkled my nose. "Oh my Gods, Brody," I said, and he laughed. "What the hell? Why are you thinking that?"

"Because that is creepy," Brody replied. He smirked. "And it is your fault because you knew what I was talking about."

I wrinkled my nose and rolled my eyes. "I don't know why you had to think about how a human woman could give birth to a child that is just with their species. For example, how Mom had you."

Brody shrugged. "I mean, you said it yourself, Mom went to labor as a human and gave birth to a human baby girl. Then she gave birth to the amazing me."

"I don't think you are that amazing," I teased, and he gasped.

"Well, at least I didn't have you think about how a human woman would have a Wolf or how a Horsin can mate with a Wolfin or a Tigerin when they have the chance."

I groaned and placed my head on my hands. "I do not want to think about that," I mumbled. "And I don't want to know."

"Well, you're the Almair," Brody sassed, "so you have to know. You need to ask Mom."

"I am not going to ask Mom," I said

"But I want to know," Brody complained, and I rolled my eyes.

"Then you ask her," I said. "I don't even know why you had to bring this up."

"To help you calm down more before you go see Shardul," Brody said. He studied me. "I don't think you'd want to go in there guns ablazing, especially since you will have me with you."

I sighed and nodded. I did feel better, even though I was still on edge. I knew that I would have a hard time with him there after what Marcus had said, but I knew that it was time for the other species to mingle with them.

They needed to, for it was written that each group needed each other to balance each other out.

Brody nuzzled my arm and looked at me with eyes filled with trust. "Whatever happens, I know that you have my back," he said, "like I have yours. No matter what happens today, it doesn't mean that you have failed. Ok?"

I took a deep breath and let it out with a soft whoosh before I nodded. "Ok," I said. I moved my hand and across my brother's head and smiled at him. "Thanks, Brody."

Brody smiled and nodded. "Any time, sis," he said. "Any time." He paused and cleared his throat. "Noe, can you get a move on? I would like to get out of the truck, but I can't open the door."

I rolled my eyes and opened my door after I unbuckled myself from my seat. "Whatever," I said dryly.

"Hey, at least I didn't say something about how a Wolfin and a human could have sex in your truck. I mean, I could have."

"Oh my gosh, Brody!" I exclaimed and wrinkled my nose in disgust. "The hell?"

He didn't respond and cackled while he hopped out of the truck.

Gods, help me not lose my head because of my stupid brother.