Chapter 11

I wiped my hands on my jeans and took a deep breath as I stared at the door before me. I was nervous that I would have to leave again to completed the last bit of my training and prayed that I didn't. I had barely survived the first time, missing my family and friends as well as feeling guilty for leaving without my Alpha's position.

Brody nudged my hand, reassuring me that he was with me and that he would follow me anywhere I went. Worry filled his eyes, and I knew that he was just as nervous of doing this like I was because we both did not know how Vanessa's mate would react. "Ready?" he asked when I took in a deep, shuddering breath.

I shook my head. "Not really," I replied, honestly. "But, I know that I have to do this." I took another deep breath and knocked on the door.

There was some yelling at the other side of the door followed by a strangled cry before the door opened to show a big, burly man.

He stood at 6'7 and had brown eyes with a brown beard and brown, curly hair. He scowled as he looked down at me, and I could see the disgust in his eyes. "Go, away," he snarled and almost slammed the door shut.

I stopped him from closing the door and narrowed my eyes at him. My whole body was tense, and I was ready to fight if need be. "I highly suggest that you move out of the way, Sir," I warned. "Your wife had said that I could come."

The male narrowed his eyes and growled, trying to intimidate me. His grip tightened on the door as he looked at me. "My wife does not know what she is doing. Get away from here and neve-"

"Marcus, let her in," another male said, coming into view. He had power around him, and I figured out that he was Shardul. The person, he called Marcus, was probably the second. "It is not wise to keep someone of importance waiting."

The male, Marcus, did not let me through. He turned to look at his leader, and I could tell that he was scowling. "But, Sir, sh-"

Shardul held his hand, stopping him from talking. He scowled, and I knew that it was because he did not like the disrespect that he was receiving from him. "There are no buts. Let her in right now, or I can give her permission for her to barrel through you," he warned. "I am sure that she would be more than happy to do that."

"With your permission, of course," I said. I lifted my chin and stared at Marcus. My face held determination, and I made sure that he couldn't tell that I was nervous. "I have faced men bigger than you, Sir, so I suggest. You. Move. Out. Of. My. Way."

Marcus stared at me. He was being hesitant, and I could tell that he thought I wouldn't do barrel through him to get into the house. His hand tightened on the door before he finally gave in to his Leader's orders and let me in.

I bit back a retort and walked inside with my brother by my side. My whole body was tense while I went into the house because I could feel his glaring gaze on my back. "I didn't expect you here, Sir," I said, looking at Shardul.

Shardul nodded his head and smiled. "I wouldn't have known that you were coming today, if it weren't for the fact the fact that Marcus had complained that you would be coming today, Almair."

I nodded and glanced at Marcus. I knew that he did not like me and wondered what had caused him to not like the Almaires. "Is Mrs. Vanessa here?" I asked, moving a hand up and down my arm, nervously. I glanced back at Shardul, knowing full well that he would answer me.

Shardul nodded his head. "She is in the kitchen. She is almost ready to serve us some food. After we eat, we can talk. I am sure that you have questions pertaining to what you need to do with this clan." He held up this hand, stopping Marcus from speaking. "I must warn you, that if you do decide to work for this family, you might get injured."

I stuffed my hands in my jean pockets and shrugged. "I kinda figured that that would happen," I replied. "But, my job is mainly me getting injured to protect others, even if others think it is just to be a bitch and rub my position in their face." I glanced at the Second in Command when I said that, causing him to scowl.

"I would like it if you respected me, Wolf," Marcus growled. He towered over me, trying to scare me into submission. "I am a high-"

"If you say higher position than me, then I will break your nose," I said, interrupting him. I ignored the growl Marcus sent my way as well as the snort that Shardul had sent. "I am a higher position than you, so you should show me respect." I sneered. "But that isn't going to happen, is it, Second?"

Marcus growled but didn't say a word when his mate cleared her throat. He looked at her, and I could tell that he wasn't in love with her. He never had been, and I could tell that he never will. He glared at her, and I knew that it was making her nervous.

Vanessa wiped her hands on the towel wrapped around her waist. There was a fresh cut on her face that caused me to scowl. She looked at her mate before looking at me, touching the cut. "I accidentally slipped and cut myself on the side of a table," she said, keeping her gaze on me. She cleared her throat and finally looked away. "Dinner is ready, so go wash your hands. I'll get the kids down before setting the ta-"

"If you can just tell me where the dishes are, then I can set the table," I said, forcing a small smile on my face. "I don't mind it at all. I do it at home most of the time if I don't sneak out of the house before she catches me."

"We use all types of dishes, I don't think that you can do it," Marcus said. "Vanessa can do it when she is done getting the children ready."

Or, you could do it and stop being an asshole, I thought trying not to drop the fake smile. "I think that I know how to set a table to your standards," I said, looking up at him. "I mean, I don't eat soup without a spoon. That would be... very not human of me."

"Go get the children, Vanessa," Shardul said. He looked at her, and I could tell that he was in love with her. He had always been in love with her, but for whatever reason, he didn't choose her. "I will help the Almaire with the dishes."

Vanessa nodded her head and practically ran from the room. She was shaking, but I didn't know if Marcus or Shardul saw it. She was afraid, and I hated that she was afraid of the man that she had to call her mate.

I gritted my teeth and glared at Marcus. Dislike blossomed in my chest for him, and I couldn't believe that he was this way. I knew that he might've lost people, but so has everyone else.

He better learn to get that stick out of his ass before I pull it out and start beating him with it.