Chapter 74

I stood near Shardul while he talked to his clan. I schooled my face, making sure that no one could know what I was thinking, what I was feeling, while I waited for him to say something that had me kneeling before him.

Everyone ignored Marcus's scoffs and what not, knowing full well that it wasn't him but the controlled part. They did give him a couple of side glances every so often, and I had a feeling that some wanted to start to believe him for the pain that "I" caused.

"Kneel, Martha," Shardul said, and I pulled my gaze away from Marcus to look at him. He flicked his tail and watched with eyes of green and yellow filled with an emotion that I couldn't pick up on.

Wordlessly, I knelt in front of him and showed him my neck, submitting to him like I had done for Tansuke and Faolon. I ignored the startled gasp that came from him and waited for him to continue with the ceremony.

"Do you accept your position in the clan?" he asked.

"Yes, Sir," I said.

"Will you protect us when we need the help?" he asked.

"Yes, Sir," I replied.

Marcus scoffed and was about to say something when he was silenced by Tygra. He bristled but didn't try to say another word, much to my relief.

"Then with this gem, I grant you to become a Tiger," he said, keeping the ceremony short and sweet as if he knew that I had other stuff to do. "Use it well, and guide us to freedom, Almair," he said.

I lifted my head and noticed that another tiger was beside Shardul with a gem in his mouth. Hesitantly, I held out my hand, and the tiger dropped the gem into it before he bowed and backed away.

The gem, a tiger's-eye, was smooth and fit in the palm of my hand. It was the same size as the other two, and I knew that once I put it into the hole, then I would be able to turn into a tiger like my brethren, my kin.

So, I took the necklace from where I had it, the yellow opal and moonstone glistening in the sun. My heart pounded hard in my chest when I placed the stone in its spot and shuddered when a wave of energy and power filled me.

I gasped and blinked back the spots that appeared in my vision. I heard a few audible gasps from the crowd gathered but paid them no heed while I made sure that I didn't pass out.

As soon as the spots died down and I was able to see again, I looked around and noticed that everything seemed to be different, even though there was no need for it to be.

The air seemed to be fresher in the backyard, and it didn't feel as stuffy as it had in the past. The sky was lighter, and the moon looked brighter.

Hope filled the air, something that I hadn't noticed was lacking. There was peace as if it had been missing from us.

"Martha," Shardul breathed out, and I looked at him. His eyes were filled with awe, as if there was something different about me.

"What?" I asked. I furrowed my brow and cocked my head. "What is it?"

"Dude, look at your clothes," Tygra said. "When did you start wearing all white?"

"I don't..." I furrowed my brows and looked down to notice that I wasn't in the clothes that I had worn. "The hell?" I asked and lifted my arms.

I was in a robe of sorts that was soft. The sleeves were long and flayed at the ends. I was wearing flats that also matched the robe.

On my waist was a belt with a sheath. There was no sword in it, but I had a feeling I knew which sword would fit.

"Turn around in a circle," Tygra said, and I did what she said. "You have the symbol of the Almair on your back," she pointed out.

"I do?" I asked and twisted around to see if I couldn't see it.

"Check on that later," Shardul said, and I looked at him. He nodded. "I want to see you shift," he said. "What does your tiger look like?"

I hesitated but nodded. I took a deep, shuddering breath and let it out with a soft whoosh before I grabbed the gem and twisted it to the right.

My whole body tingled as it did the last two times, and the world grew larger while I grew smaller.

I opened my eyes, not knowing that I had closed them, and looked around. I flicked my ears, listening to the sound of the world before I turned my gaze to look to Shardul.

Shardul nodded before he bowed, and one by one, even Marcus included, bowed with him. "Welcome, Almair," he said softly. "Welcome to the family."

I nodded and stood, shaking out my fur. I turned my head to the side and saw that I was white. I flicked my tail and flicked it again, not used to having a long, slender tail.

"Go ahead and run around," Shardul said, and I looked at him. "Get a feeling of your tiger before you have to leave. I am sure that there is other stuff that you have to do?"

I nodded. "I do," I confirmed. I flicked my tail again and looked at Tygra. I really wanted to run with her, but I didn't trust Marcus without her near his side.

"We'll run together later," she promised. "Go run and have some fun with the clan."

I nodded and looked at Ms. Vanessa, wondering if she wanted to run with me. I had no idea what Shardul would do and prayed that he would trust me.

Ms. Vanessa looked at Shardul, staying silent. Relief filled her eyes when he nodded, and she looked at me and nodded, indicating that she would be happy to join me on a run.

I smiled relieved. I nodded one last time before I walked over to her and nuzzled her shoulder.

And after that, I twisted around and ran off with Ms. Vanessa at my side.

I was finally a tiger.

But at what cost?