Chapter 47

I looked at Mrs. Vanessa after studying the note, my heart pounding in my chest. I made sure that my face was blank, not wanting to give away any emotion that I was feeling. "I think he is trying to help," I said, finally.

"Why do you say that?" Shardul asked, leaning forward. "What's in the box?" He narrowed his eyes, and I could tell that he did not like waiting for me to answer him. However, he wouldn't say a word, knowing full well that I would not answer.

"Ummm..." I furrowed my brows and moved my hand across the cover of the book. "Some dirt, leaves, and pieces of clothing," I said. "And this." I held the journal up so that he could see it. "He labeled it to me, so I think he wants me to read it."

"Do you think there is any information about my daughter?" he asked. Hope filled his voice as he stared at the book in my hand. He wanted to take it out of my hands, I could tell, but he didn't because it was for me.

"I think so, or at least explain what he had been through," I replied. I opened the book and noticed a loose piece of paper and a picture lying on the front page. Slowly, I picked the picture up and turned it over to see both Marcus and Miss Kip staring at me, both of them looking happy and comfortable in each other's presence.

My throat closed as I touched Miss Kip's smiling face, my heart breaking. I missed her more than anything at that moment, and I prayed that I'd made her proud of the person that I became. If it wasn't for her helping me, then I had no idea how I would handle everything that I was going through today.

"Martha?" Shardul asked, concerned. He leaned forward and studied me. "Are you ok? You have tears in your eyes?"

"I do?" I asked, my voice cracking, and I touched the place underneath my eye to feel it wet. "Oh, I didn't notice." I rubbed my face with my shirt and cleared my throat. "I'm sorry that you had to see that." I cleared my throat again and handed the picture to him. "This is why I was mad at you that night."

Shardul hesitated but took the picture from me. His face was blank while he looked at it, and I could tell that he felt guilty to end a love so soon. "Oh," he said, handing it to his mate. He sighed and moved a hand through his hair. "I didn't know."

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "Of course, you didn't," I said bitterly. "You did not know what they had, Shardul. You didn't see the happiness that they had with each other." My voice rose slightly, and anger filled my body, but I didn't act on it, no matter how much I wanted to.

"And you did?" Shardul asked. "What about your Alpha? Did he know? About this?" He gestured to where his mate held the photo in her hand, looking at them with tears in her eyes.

"Yes, I did," I replied. "I do not remember a lot of it, but I do know that they were happy, and that photo proves it." I took the picture from Mrs. Vanessa and tucked it back into the book so that I wouldn't lose it. I wanted to look at it again. "And, yes, my Alpha did let it happen. Then again, he did have someone tell him to let them be."

"Which was who?" Shardul asked. "Who told him to let them be? I am sure that it wasn't you."

"It wasn't," I confirmed. "But, it was someone that I knew and used the fact that I was ok with this relationship not to say a word."

Shardul sighed and nodded his head after a tense moment of silence. "I should have let him explain," he said, honestly. He moved a hand across his face and sagged, the weight of the world falling on his shoulders. "This is all my fault."

I shook my head and took in a deep breath, relaxing. I moved a hand through my brother's fur when he placed his head on my lap, glad that he was there and I didn't have to face this alone. "It isn't, not all of it, Shardul," I replied. "There are other people at fault as well." I shifted in my seat. "But, I might have a way to fix this, at least get your Second back."

Shardul sighed and nodded his head. "But, you need time to figure out what is needed. You will keep me posted?" He nodded to the journal. "Especially what is in there? I am curious to what he has to say."

"If he allows me to, I will let you know," I said, closing the journal. "However, since it is directed to me..."

"You don't want to lose whatever trust you have with him." Shardul nodded his head and sighed. "I understand. Do you think you can come tonight for training, or soon? As you said before, you are close to finishing."

I nodded my head and looked at Mrs. Kathy, smiling sheepishly. "I won't be able to..."

She waved me off, understanding what I was trying to say. "Don't worry about it," she said. "You have a lot to worry about and leads to follow. Just promise me that you will find her as soon as you can?" Her voice wavered, and I knew she was stressed about her other daughter. She knew that she couldn't do anything about protecting Bethany herself but trusted that I would do it.

"I will," I promised, nodding my head. "And, if you need me to, I will try to get something out of Marcus." I glanced at Shardul, a plan forming in my head. "If that is ok with you."

Shardul nodded his head. "However, do not torture him," he said. "He is torturing himself already. I went to check on him this morning, and he looked as bad as me." He moved a hand through his hair, and I could tell that he had no idea how he would help his Second.

"I won't," I promised. "I think I know of a way that I can get him to talk, but I need some information first." I nodded to the box, and he looked at it before looking at me. "I will see what all of that means and report it back to you once I do. I think he tried to help in the best way he could."

Shardul nodded his head and stood, and Vanessa stood up with him. "If there isn't anything that else you need to discuss with her, Vanessa, then I think that we are done?"

Vanessa shook her head, indicating that she didn't need to cover anything else with me. "Make sure to keep me updated with my daughter. If I can think of something that will help you with Marcus, then I will let you know."

I nodded my head and stood, as well, putting the book back into the box and covering it. "I will check in with you regularly," I said, glancing at them, "to make sure that everything is going fine. Make sure that he eats and get some rest. We don't need him passing out on us." I looked at Mrs. Vanessa, ignoring Shardul's scowl.

"I will," she said, smiling and nodding her head. "Thank you for coming when you did. I appreciate it. You get some rest as well. We do not need you passing out either."

I smiled grimly and nodded my head. I knew that I would need some rest, but I had no idea how much I was going to get with the fear of someone else being kidnapped or worse. "I will show myself out," I said, picking up the box. "Excuse me."

And with that, I let myself out, leaving the two mates behind and followed by my brother. Now, all I needed to do was find out what Marcus left for me and find out if Hermes could help me.

But first, I had to find him again.