Chapter 46

I knocked on Shardul's door about an hour later with Brody by my side. I didn't know who would open the door, and I prayed that it would Shardul because I still needed to train and needed to know if he would still be able to train me.

Shardul opened the door and stared at me. He looked a little better, but I could tell that the strain was getting too much for him.

"Shardul," I said, nodding my head in greeting and stirring him from his thoughts. "May we come in?"

He hesitated but nodded his head. "Of course," he said, moving out of my way. "Why are you here?"

"Ms. Vanessa texted me," I replied, entering the room with Brody by my side. I watched as he closed the door and followed him when he gestured for me to walk with him. "She asked me to come by, so here I am."

"She is in the shower, right now," he said, and I could tell that he was telling the truth. "I think she texted you before she went in."

I nodded my head. "You need a shower," I noted, and he scoffed and rolled his eyes. "And, some sleep."

"How am I when my daughter is kidnapped? You don't seem worried about it at all," he said, bitterly, and I knew that he was talking about me looking a little well rested.

"Yesterday was exhausting, not including the fact that I had been patrolling more often than not after the attack on my mate, so yes, I did get some sleep."

Shardul sighed and moved a hand through his hair, nodding his head. "I apologize, Almair," he said. "It has been stressful."

"I know," I replied. I licked my lips and cleared my throat. "I don't know when I will be able to find her," I said slowly, not knowing if I should tell him this.

"What do you mean?" Shardul asked, his tone turning darker.

"It means that I have to wait for something, some sort of light to appear at the right time."

"So, she could be dead by the time you find her. This is a child, Martha."

"I know that this is a child, Shardul," I said, feeling impatient with him. "This the same child that I have told you many times to take away from Marcus in the first place," I snapped. "And, she will not be killed, not yet. They want me, so that is why they have the child."

Shardul set his jaw and narrowed his eyes. He opened his mouth to retaliate but stopped when someone said 'Shardul.' He looked towards the stairs and watched as Mrs. Vanessa walked down the stairs. "Vanessa," he said, holding out his hand to her.

Mrs. Vanessa hesitated and looked at me. She didn't take his hand, and I had a feeling that it was because of Brody and me. She was still "mated" to Marcus and didn't want me to think bad of her.

"You can grab his hand, you know," I said, amused. I nudged my brother when he snorted. "I already know that you are more in love with him than with Marcus."

Mrs. Vanessa hesitated but grabbed his hand. Her eyes had this joy in them, but it didn't cover the worried look in her eyes. She was worried about her daughter, but she trusted me to get her and knew that I wouldn't let her get killed. "Thank you for coming so quickly," she said. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Water, please," I said. "Thank you."

Mrs. Vanessa nodded her head and gestured towards the living. "Go and sit down," she ordered. "I'll bring it to you. I am sure you have something to discuss with Shardul?" She gave me a pointed look, and I nodded before going into the living room, followed by my brother.