Chapter 20

I stayed silent as Matt pulled into my driveway. I was suffocating on the tension between us after he had picked me up, and I had no idea how to break it.

Matt was pissed; I could tell that much. He had almost attacked Tygra when she led me from Shardul's house to his truck, only to stop when I had given him a look. He didn't ask what had happened, and a part of me knew that he didn't ask because he already knew and didn't want me to confirm it.

The other part... thought that he didn't care. He didn't care that I had come out of Shardul's house injured, and he didn't care about me at all. That was an absurd thought, but... I couldn't help but think of it.

I took a deep breath and let it out before I started to struggle to get out of the car. A grimace flickered on my face, but that was the only sign of the pain that I was in. I didn't want anyone to know that I was hurting because I knew that I had to "appear" strong.

Matt sighed, causing me to stop moving and to look at him. He was already looking at me, his face blank, with no emotion whatsoever. "Where are you going?" he asked, and my body involuntary shivered.

"Out," I replied, looking at the front door. I wanted someone to walk out and help me to the house, but I was sure that no one would come. I was with my mate after all.

"Out where?" Matt asked.

"To the house." I shifted in my seat, trying to ease the pain of sitting too long. A slow hiss escaped my lips, signaling to my mate that I was in pain.

Matt hurried over to my side and picked me up, and a small gasp left my mouth. He closed the truck door after Brody got out and started to walk to the house.

"I can walk," I said, not even trying to move from his arms. I closed my eyes for a millisecond, feeling warm and safe.

"Like hell, I am going to let you walk," he said, snorting. "Why did you even fight again?"

"Marcus was being an asshole and attacked me," I mumbled. "An old friend of mine stepped in and stopped him from attacking me in the dense forest, so we just attacked each other on the meeting ground."

"I don't know if you should finish your training here," Matt said. "You could get killed."

"I could die at any moment, Matthew," I replied coldly. I sighed and looked away from him. I didn't want to die, not yet at least, but I knew better than to say that I wouldn't die. I had a price over my head, and I knew that the only way to get rid of it was to either die or kill the thing that wanted me dead. "It might or might not be his fault."

Matt sighed and kissed my forehead. "I know. I just..." He grimaced and shook his head. Pain flashed through his eyes, and I could tell that he didn't want to lose me either.

"I know," I said. I lifted my head and pecked his lips. "But, I am a fighter. I will fight to live for you and my pack."

"And the other clans as well," Matt said, and I nodded. He groaned and leaned his head on mine before lifting it. "Your parents are going to kill me," he said grimacing. "I promised them that I would keep an eye on you and make sure that you didn't get hurt worse."

"They already know that you can't," I said, and he chuckled. "I am prone to getting into trouble. It follows me everywhere."

John had opened the door when I said that. He looked me up and down, and I could tell that he was worried because of the wounds. "I thought you chased trouble," he said, moving out of Matt's way. "What happened?"

"Marcus," I grunted out, and John nodded. "Is there anyone else here besides the family?"

John shook his head and closed the door behind Mat. "Mia tried to come in, but I made sure that Mom didn't let her in. She was looking for Matt."

"She needs to stop," I said, jealousy rearing its furry head. I did not like the fact that she was trying to see my mate and boyfriend. I knew that Matt wouldn't do anything because, like me, he needed me just as much as I needed him. "If she doesn't, then I have no idea what I am going to do. But, whatever it is, it will not be pretty."