Chapter 26

My heart got stuck in my throat as I saw the burning truck. My mouth was dry, and I could only utter a small "Matt" before starting to run towards the truck. I had no idea if it was a trap or not, but I didn't care. My only thought was to save my mate or die trying.

Brody ran after me. He didn't say a word, but I could tell that he was worried. He stayed back when the smoke had gotten too bad and didn't try to go any further. "Martha," he called before he started coughing.

"Get help," I called. The taste of gasoline filled my mouth, and I was sure that it was about to explode. "Go. Now," I commanded. I didn't know if he ran or not, but I didn't care. I placed my arm in front of my face to try and cover my face from the sparks.

I could feel the heat of the fire on my arms, but I didn't care. Blindly, I moved forward, praying to the Gods that my mate was still alive. If he was dead, then there was going to be hell to pay.

"Martha," a voice called from behind me. The person caught my hand but didn't retaliate. "It'ssss me, Ryan," the said, and I relaxed. "I'm here to help. He had jussst left."

I blinked back the smoke to see the male staring at me. I frowned and nodded my head, not knowing what he meant about who had left. "Can you see?" I asked, and he nodded in confirmation. I coughed and placed some of my t-shirt in front of my mouth to be able to breathe some. "Then help me find him."

Ryan nodded his head. He grabbed my hand and started to lead me forward. "I tried to warn him not to go," he said. "He wouldn't lissssten. I even tried to make sure that there wassss a flat."

I nodded my head. I didn't blame Ryan for Matt getting injured. I did blame his "Master" for it, and all I wanted to do was find him and kill him. However, I knew that I couldn't do that until I had mastered my Tiger form.

"Here," he said. "We are at the door. Careful. It'sssss hot."

"Move out of my way," I breathed out. "And get ready to pull him out. Please."

"Ok," Ryan said. He placed my hand on the door, not questioning me. He might have had an easier way to do this, but both of us knew that we were running out of time.

I ignored the door burning my hand and grabbed it with my other hand. Using all of my strength and anger, I pulled the door off of the burning truck and tossing it to the side, "Grab him and let's go," I croaked out. "Before it explodes."

There was a sound of shuffling before Ryan grabbed my wrist. "I have him," he said, pulling me away from the truck. "Let'ssss go." He picked up his pace, and I stumbled after him blindly.

I coughed out some smoke, my throat itching. I had no idea if Ryan actually got my mate out of the burning truck, but I knew that I had to trust him. I couldn't see, couldn't breathe, and my life was in his hands because he could do both.

Ryan pulled me away from the truck. He didn't say a word, but I could feel this urgency coming off of him like we weren't going to be alone for long. "Here," he said when we were far away from the truck. He set something down and let go of me. "Sssssstay here. I will try to sssssend your brother this way."

I nodded, still coughing. My whole body ached from the powerful coughs, and I was sure that I had punctured a lung. "Matt?" I asked, knowing he was still there.

"Besssside you," Ryan replied. "Here." He helped me sit down and placed my hand on my mate. "He'sssss ssssstill alive but barely."

I nodded my head and tried to wipe my eyes. I wanted to see my mate, but I knew that touch would have to be enough. "Go," I croaked out.

Ryan grunted out a response and left. He didn't need to tell me to stay put because I wouldn't have been able to move.

Breathing was still hard for me, and I knew it was because of whatever was in that smoke. My eyes burned, and the tears couldn't help wash away the soot. "Matt?" I croaked out, trying to find his hand. "Be alive. I need you."

I laid down beside him and gently rested my head on his shoulder. I was getting dizzy, the lack of oxygen getting to me. I closed my eyes, not able to keep them open any longer, and welcomed the darkness.

Gods, please don't let us die.