Chapter 52

I leaned back against the wall and pursed my lips, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders while I read the words over again. I stayed silent, processing what I had learned, and Hermes let me stay silent and study me. "Damn," I said, earning a soft chuckle from him.

"Yes, yes," he said, nodding his head. "Now, do you want to know when this will happen?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, and I shrugged.

"How bad will it be if I know the exact date? Like if you told me?" I asked.

"I don't know," Hermes replied, shrugging his shoulders. "As you said before, anything could be dangerous." He closed the book and handed it to me. "You are stressed as it is," he pointed out.

I let out a breathless chuckle and moved a hand across my face, the weight of the world making me feel tired. "I think I will be stressed until I find out a way to kill whoever this person is and find out a way to kill them, Hermes." I narrowed my eyes when he opened his mouth. "And, I don't want to know if you know, Hermes," I warned.

Hermes closed his mouth and leaned back in the seat. A small amused smile flickered onto his lips, and he cocked his head while he studied me. "You didn't ask a question," he pointed out. "So, I wasn't going to tell you anyway."

"But you do know, right?"

He nodded. "Correct."

"And you know what day this battle happen?"

"I do," he confirmed. His eyes flickered, and I could sense him start to panic. "I-"

"Will I be able to complete my training before then?" I asked, interrupting him. "Or will I have to face this person knowing two of my three skills?"

Hermes closed his mouth and sighed, shaking his head. He looked older than I thought, and I had a feeling that he was underneath as much pressure as me, if not more. "I do not know," he said finally. "I am hoping that you will be able to, but I can not see the future."

I nodded. "Do you have anything that will show me the reason as to why I have a shoebox of dirt, leaves, and other stuff?" I asked, and Hermes raised an eyebrow in question. I reached into my bag and pulled out the shoebox. "Marcus gave it to me, but he doesn't know why he had given it to me. He also got me a piece of a t-shirt, but I don't know where the t-shirt is from."

Hermes took the box from me when I handed it to him. He opened the box and surveyed the stuff in it. "I think I can find something out," he said slowly. "However, you are almost out of time and will need to "wake up" soon." He closed the lid of the box and looked at me, praying that I wouldn't ask him to do the stuff in front of me.

I pursed my lips and nodded, hating the fact that I had to leave so soon when all I wanted to do was watch and see what Wisters did if he would allow me. "Ok," I said sadly. I reached into the bag and pulled out the counter cream that would reverse the one he had smelt before asking my questions. I cleared my throat and licked my lips. "Those were the main questions that I had. If I have any more questions, will you answer them without the cream?" I handed the cream to him.

"I will answer as honestly as I can if you ask me those questions," he said, setting the shoebox down and taking the cream from me. His touch was warm when he grazed his fingers against mine, and I felt this small tingle as if he did something to me, trying to make sure that I didn't notice it, so I played it off like I didn't. "The only difference is that I will not be panicking if I am about to say something t-"

"Just smell the cream," I said, interrupting him, even though I hadn't felt him start to panic. I offered him a tired smile and set my hands in my lap while studying the male before me. "I don't have time for your stories, Hermes. Remember? I am "waking up" soon, whatever that means."

Hermes scowled teasingly and narrowed his eyes playfully while I grinned innocently. "It means that the magic around your body, protecting you while your "inner self" is here with me, is running out. I can sense when your "inner self" is ready to be back with your body. It makes you tired going both ways."

I furrowed my brows and pursed my lips, confused. I had no idea why he had told me that, but I had a feeling that he wasn't panicked about me knowing that or not. "Did I need to know that?" I asked, and Hermes chuckled and shook his head.

"No," he replied. "But, it wouldn't have hurt anything either way." He opened the jar and took a big whiff of it. His whole body relaxed, and his eyes filled with relief. "Gods, it is good to feel in control with one's words," he said, putting the top back on and handing the cream back to me.

"How does it feel to be under the influence of something?" I asked, cocking my head, studying him. I took the jar from him and placed it back in my bag with the journal and the small box he gave me. "What happens?"

"Would you like to find out?" he asked. He gestured to multiple jars that sat on a table. "I have one ready that I can use," he said, smiling innocently.

I chuckled tiredly. "Another time, Hermes," I replied. "I am sure that I am out of time now."

Hermes nodded solemnly. Sadness filled his eyes, and I could tell that he didn't want me to leave just yet. "Yes," he said. "It is time. Remember, if you meditate, you will be able to stay here longer. Ok?"

I nodded. "Ok."

"Good, now wake up." He snapped his fingers, and everything went black.