Chapter 29

I opened my eyes when someone knocked on the door and lifted my head from where I had placed it on Matt's shoulder. I blinked back the sleep that wanted to take over, still groggy, and noticed Shardul and Marcus standing there. I glanced at my mate to see that his eyes were closed, but I knew that he was awake.

"I'll be back," I said softly. "I'll get your mother to get you more pain meds."

Matt opened his eyes when he felt me move from his spot beside him. He frowned, and I could tell that he didn't like it.

"I am needed. My job isn't done."

Matt rolled his eyes. "Your job is never done, Almair," he teased. "But I will only let you go if you give me a kiss."

I glanced at the two men, and Shardul gestured as if to say 'go ahead.' I rolled my eyes and kissed Matt's nose.

"Martha," Matt warned.

"Matthew," I mocked. "I am sure my breath smells."

"Well, I don't care. I want to kiss my mate."

I grumbled and kissed him on the lips. "I love you," I whispered, putting another kiss on his lips. "I'll be back."

"With my mom," he grumbled. "I don't like this."

"At least we heal faster than humans," I said dumbly. I fiddled with the bandages on my hands, anxious to take them off. I knew that my hands would be tender to the touch, but it didn't make any difference. "I'll be back," I promised and started to leave.

"Hey, Martha," Matt called, and I stopped and looked at him. Worry filled his eyes. "Do you..?"

I gave him a small smile and nodded my head. I didn't need him to say what he was thinking. I already knew. "I do," I confirmed. "Try to get some sleep. I know it is going to be tough."

Matt frowned and tried to nod his head. He forced a smile on his face, wiping away the grimace.

I scowled at my mate before walking the rest of the way to the two men. "Come," I said, bowing my head in respect. "There is a private office that we can discuss." I had a feeling that they wanted to talk to me alone and not be bothered by anyone else.

There was a sense of dread in the air, and I couldn't help but pray for it not to deal with Vanessa and her two daughters. If it did, then I prayed that Marcus did not have anything to do with it. Because, if he did have anything to deal with it, then all hell will break loose.

***

"So?" I asked, leaning against the desk and folding my arms across my chest. "What is the meaning of this meeting? Is something wrong with your mate and daughters?" I glanced at Marcus, and he scowled.

"My mate and daughters are fine," he growled out, baring his teeth at me. "Why? Are you going to do something toward them?"

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "Please," I said, coldly, "Like I am capable of hurting an innocent."

"And yet, you seem to have no problem hurting me," Marcus said.

"Are you really innocent?" I asked, and he growled a warning. "Or are you just playing a victim?"

Marcus growled and opened his mouth to retort. He stopped when Shardul cleared his throat and glared at the man.

Shardul looked at Marcus, unimpressed, before turning to look at me. "There have been sightings of Dark Forces near the Tiger Clan," he said. "No one had tried to get into the backyard, but it is possible that they can get in. Correct?"

I nodded my head. "Did you want me to make my presence known?"

He nodded his head. "When will you be able to train again?" he asked. "You still have a long way to go before you are a Tiger."

I nodded gravely. "I will check with Ms. Kathy and let you know as soon as I know." I held up my hands. "Thankfully, it is just my hands that are injured this time. It shouldn't take long for them to heal."

"But, you want to be with your mate and help him heal."

I hesitated and nodded my head. "We do have a training room at my house if it is possible that we can train there."

Marcus snorted and scowled. "Like he will be in a house full of wolves. I will not have my daughters and wife come here."

"Well, it looks like you might not have a choice, Marcus," I spat, pursing my lips.

He really knew how to get on my nerves.

"I do not deal with you. I deal with Shardul and your "wife.""

Marcus scowled but didn't reply. A look of disgust was on his face, and I could tell that he didn't enjoy these minuscule conversations with me.

I didn't enjoy them either. All I had learned from him was that he was annoying and blamed others for his problems. He didn't care about anyone, and I had to wonder how he became second.

Then again, I sometimes wondered how Lobo became Faolon's second and wondered if what had happened to him caused him to be an old grump.

"What happened to you?" I asked, and Marcus furrowed his brows.

"Pardon?" he asked.

"What happened that you are acting so grumpy? Why are you blaming me, even though you know that I don't have anything to do with it, whatever it is? Did they kill someone that you loved before this, before Vanessa?"

Marcus's face drained of color. He flicked his eyes back and forth as if he was trying to find a place to hide. He didn't want to be open about his past, about what made him tick.

He didn't want to look at the feelings that he hid behind anger and sarcasm. He didn't want to be pitied.

And, I felt bad for him. I understood some of what he might be going through and knew that we had to do some things differently.

His way was to lash out at anyone and make them fear him and stay away from him. He saw me as a threat because I wasn't afraid of him. He knew that I wouldn't back down from a fight.

For the first time, Marcus was speechless. He stared at me in shock with his mouth open and closing. Finally, he cleared his throat and looked away from me. He wouldn't catch my eye. "I... have to go."

And with that, he left us with Shardul stunned.