Chapter 13

My heart started to pound in my chest as I heard my brother say that. The color drained out of my face, leaving me paler than I all ready was. "I'll be there as soon as I can," I breathed out after I had finally got some breath in my lungs. I hung up the phone and ran into the dining room, where the three adults looked at me. "Where is Bethany's room?" I demanded, looking at Mrs. Vanessa.

Marcus growled, and I looked at him. He stood up and placed his hands on the table. "You are no-"

"I need my brother," I interrupted him. "I do not want to scream and wake up the baby."

"You will no-"

"Dark Forces are attacking my pack!" I snapped, baring my teeth like a wolf. Anger and impatience flowed through my body because every second that he wasted was a second that I could be protecting my pack. "If Pups die, then it is your fault."

"We'll send your brother back to the house and your truck," Shardul said, and I looked at him. "Go, take care of your pack. I am sure that you will be able to run there faster."

I pursed my lips and nodded my head. I tossed Shardul the keys, trusting him to take care of my truck. "Make sure that you get home safely afterward. Brody will tell you where to go."

"Be careful," Vanessa said.

I nodded my head and raced to the door and back to my pack, praying that I wasn't too late.

***

I found the Dark Forces about a mile from where I had entered the lands by jumping over the fence and into the backyard. A growl escaped my lips when I saw that they were antagonizing the pups and a body lying in between the Dark Forces and the young ones.

The Dark Forces turned around to see me standing there and sneered. This weird gleam filled their eyes, but I could care less if they were trying to frighten me or not. "Well, well, well," one of them hissed. "Look who sssshowed up. I wasssss getting worried that you didn't care about them."

"Pick on me and leave them alone," I snarled, taking a step forward. I had a stick in my hand and pointed it at them, narrowing my eyes. "Or are you all too chicken?" I did not dare look at the pups, knowing that if I did, then I would be losing the small bit of sanity that I had left and succumbing into the anger that I felt.

They looked at me and sneered before starting to attack. They did not give me any warning but just attacked, thankfully ignoring the pups and the three adults that were there trying to get them out of my way.

I ducked away from the six Dark Forces and stabbed the seventh in the heart, killing it instantly. I didn't care that the Pups were watching me kill them, even though I did feel a bit guilty. I ducked under one of them and kicked another in the gut, keeping my eyes trained on the six.

"You know, it would be nice if you used your stone so we can get the Pups," John said. He glared at the six Dark Forces, wanting to help me but knowing that he didn't have the power to help out.

I threw the stick at a Dark Force that was close to attacking me and growled when one bit me in the shoulder. "Ya, like I am going to stop after that," I snarled, ripping the head off of it. I focused on the energy of my stone and shoved the rest back a few feet. "Get the pups," I ordered. "I'll hold them off." I took my gem out of my pouch and bent the glowing parts into two swords, smirking at the Dark Forces.

The Dark Forces looked at each other and sneered before attacking me.

I quickly killed them off before putting my stone back in my pouch. My breathing came in short pants, and the wounds that I had received started to ache more with each step. I turned towards the area to see forlorn Halftons standing and watching me. "Did any pups..?" I bit my lip and chewed it nervously. Guilt blossomed in my chest because I did not know which parent lost their child.

The wolves moved out of my way, and my heart broke when I saw Randi lying there in a pool of her blood. "Only she is dying, Almair," one of the wolves said. "The pups are safe."

I nodded my head and walked towards her, fighting back the tears. I knelt beside, knowing that it was too late to save her. "I'm sorry," I whispered, my voice cracking. A tear broke through my barrier as she struggled to breathe.

"Don't... be..." Randi said, opening one eye. She grimaced and closed her eye, groaning out in pain. "I'm... sorry... for... the way that I was... acting."

I shook my head. "Save your breath," I said, moving a hand through her fur and bring her comfort. "There's no need to apologize."

"There is..." she replied. She struggled for breath and opened her eye to look at me. Respect and pain shone back at me, and I couldn't help but feel a little more guilty. "My mate would've loved you," she added. "She liked the strong females, and... I think I was a bit jealous that she would've liked you more than me."

I blinked, shocked. "I am straight and have a boyfriend."

Randi chuckled before groaning out in pain. "You didn't have a boyfriend then," she replied. She sighed. "I wish I was as strong as you."

Again, I shook my head. "You stood up to the Dark Forces and protected the pups while I was still trying to get here. I think that you are strong."

She chuckled. "And stupid." She sighed again. "Protect the pack," she whispered, struggling again to breathe. "And know that I don't blame you, Almaire." She tried to bow but stopped when it was too much.

"I will," I promised, running a hand through her fur.

"Good," she said. And with one last breath, Randi died.

I broke down into tears, not caring that the pack saw me weak. "I'm sorry," I whispered, placing my face into her fur. "I am very sorry."

Howling happened around us as the pack mourned the loss of another pack member. The song was beautiful and heart wrenching as everyone said their goodbyes to a family member, to someone that had some respect in the pack.