Chapter 32

I knew where we were going by the time I felt this... strange force as the Snakeston was close to this imaginary border. "Wait," I said, stopping. My whole body was tense as I felt... this string or something about to snap as the Snakeston got farther and farther away from me.

The Snakeston stopped and looked back at me. The Snakeston flicked its tongue out, and I could tell that it was annoyed.

"Come here, quickly," I said, kneeling and holding out my hand.

The Snakeston seemed to scowl as it shook its head.

"Come on," I said, annoyed. "You have to trust me. If you go any further, then something bad is going to happen to you."

The Snakeston seemed to huff but slithered over to me. The Snakeston wrapped itself around my arm, making sure that it didn't squeeze too tight, and I could still move.

I let out a small whoosh, feeling that feeling disappear as soon as the Snakeston was near me. I walked forward; my eyes flicking back and forth. My whole body was tense, even though I knew that we were alone.

The Snakeston tried to get me through the front door by pulling at my arm.

I shook my head, not going the way that the Snakeston wanted me to go. "There is a back door," I replied, and the Snakeston stopped pulling on my arm and gave me the stink eye. "I am serious," I replied. "I know this place."

The Snakeston seemed to snort, and I gave it a look."I am serious," I replied. I walked to the back door and picked up a pile of fake dog poop that sitting there. I moved the piece until the back slid off to show an old key and got it out.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the back door before putting the key and the poop back where they belonged before walking in and closing the door behind me.

The Snakeston waited until I moved my hand onto the ground before sliding off of me. The Snakeston's body started to shake after it was a bit away from me and transformed into a male crouching on the ground in pain.

The Snakeston, Ryan, looked up when he finished shifting, his eyes filled with pain. "Don't assssssk," he said. "It issss part of our curssse."

I nodded my head keeping silent. "Can you stand?" I asked.

Ryan hesitated but shook his head no. He stayed still when I helped him stand and moved him to a chair that was in the room with us. His whole body was tense, and I could tell that he didn't like me near him. "Thankssss."

I nodded and moved to another chair. "I am sure you have news about Bethany." It wasn't a question. It was a statement. I knew that he had information for me.

"Yessss," Ryan said. He had a grim look on his face, and I knew that it wasn't going to be good. "But, it issssn't going to be eassssy to get her out."

I frowned but nodded my head. "I am aware," I replied. And, I was aware. I knew that it was going to be hard to get her out.

"But, I have to try."