Chapter 44

I stared at my brother and watched as he cleared his throat and pulled a mask over his feelings. My heart grew heavy because I understood that he was missing her more and more with each passing day. "Tell me about her," I said, and he stirred from his thoughts and looked at me. "Please?"

John smiled and nodded. He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat as he tried to come up with something that wouldn't hurt me. "She... was killed by magical Dark Forces," he said, finally. "She had gotten close to something that she shouldn't, and it had cost her, her life." John scratched his throat and sighed, a look of pain flashing through his eyes. "I do not know what she had found out," he said.

"But you were there when she was killed," I said, reading my brother like a book. "Weren't you?"

John cleared his throat and nodded. "Yes," he said, his voice cracking. "I was there with her when she died." He sighed and moved a hand through his hair. "I am sorry that I never told you about her," he said. "Relationships between Wisters and Halftons..." He grimaced.

"Are taboo?" I asked, and he nodded. "Do Halftons know about the Wisters?"

"Some do," John said. He furrowed his brows. "I think Faolon knows about the Wisters. He... doesn't like them, so don't ask him anything about them." He gave me a knowing look, and I scowled but nodded.

"How were they made?" I asked, leaning forward and studying my brother's face. "How did they come about?"

"The same way as Halftons," he said, leaning back in his seat. "Legends have it that two different Halfton groups created them. When they were born, they were made to choose between being either a product of both species but having a chance with only one dominant gene or giving up both genes and becoming something made from magic."

"So... are all Wisters related?" I asked, and he shook his head, no.

"Are all Halftons related?" he challenged, and I opened my mouth to say something. He gave me a pointed look, and I closed my mouth without saying a word.

"Good point," I replied. I licked my lips and cleared my throat. "So, do these Halftons that come from two different species live amongst us? If so, do we know who they are?"

"Some of them do live amongst us, but there is no way to tell who comes from which species. Adeline has a background in Horse and Tiger, I think," he said, furrowing his brows. "Both of her parents were Wisters and came from a line of Wisters."

"Then, how did she know that she came from Horses and Tigers?" I asked. "If she came from Wisters and other Wisters."

"So, they would know who not to mate with," John replied. "For example, you know one of Adeline's family members. However, they do not know about her."

"Who?" I asked, cocking my head. "And how do you know?"

John smiled apologetically and shook his head. "Can't say," he said. "Not yet."

I huffed but nodded, knowing better than to push it. "Can you at least tell me how you know?"

"Hermes had let Adeline tell me her background," he said. "She was so excited to tell me who her parents were and grandparents and other family members that I just let her talk and held onto every word." He had this look in his eyes as he talked about her, the same look that I had when I talked about Matt.

He cleared his throat and moved a hand through his hair. "I miss her," he said, honestly, and I nodded in understanding. "But, I know that I have to do this and help you learn about the world that you are now a part of."

"A world that I had been a part of for three years," I replied. I shrugged my shoulder and grimaced. "Or, almost three years."

John chuckled and nodded. "But, there is still so much that you need to learn about yourself as well as the world that you are becoming a part of. There is still more than just being a Halfton."

"I know," I said, moving a hand through my hair and sighing. I was still tired, but I wanted to see if he would answer the questions that I had. "When did you know about Wisters? How old were you?"

"I think I was twelve when I first met a Wister," he said. He studied me, probably knowing what I was feeling. "I will tell you some stuff later, but I think that you should get some sleep. You're going to need it if you want to find Bethany."

I sighed and nodded, standing. I gave my brother a hug when he stood, and he put his arms around me after a moment's pause. "I love you," I said, burying my face into his chest and took in his familiar scent. "Thank you for trying to help me."

John squeezed me tightly and placed a kiss on the top of my head. "I love you, too," he said. "And it's my job to help you." He offered me a small smile as he pulled away and cleared his throat. "Now, go get some rest. I will be here if there is anything else that you need."

I nodded my head, smiling. "I know," I said. I kissed his cheek before walking out of the room and going to mine. I had a feeling that Matt would still be there, and all I wanted to do was cuddle with him and fall asleep.

I just hoped that this guilt would go away because I knew that I could be doing something. I could be trying to find Bethany, but I knew that I might not be able to, not until I had the right light, whatever that meant.