Chapter 25

I flicked through a book on my front porch, waiting for Matt to come and collect me. I had no idea what he was wanting to do, and all he said was to dress for the warm weather.

He said that he would be here in five minutes, but that was an hour ago. And, I was getting really anxious that something bad had happened to him.

Brody was on the porch with me. He didn't like waiting for Matt, and I could tell that he was becoming anxious. "Are you sure that there aren't any messages from him?" he asked again.

I checked my phone and shook my head. "Nope," I replied. "Not since the moment that he texted me; he was on his way."

My phone rang at that moment, and Kathy flashed on the screen.

"Hello?" I asked after I had answered the call. Fear filled my body because Ms. Kathy never called me, only texted.

"Hey, is Matt with you?" she asked. "He said he would text me when he was, but he never did."

Dread filled my body as I looked at my brother. "Go get a bag of supplies. Tell Mom that I want everyone indoors," I said to him. I opened the door to the house, and he ran inside. "No, he isn't here," I told Ms. Kathy. "Can you get everyone indoors or in a protected area?"

There was a pause, and I could feel her trying not to cry. "I-"

"I know," I said soothingly. My heart was breaking because I didn't know where my mate was and didn't want to lose him as well. "I will try to find him. If I can't, then I will see if there will be anyone willing to help me."

"You just don't want anyone else in danger?" she asked. Her voice shook. "Is that why you are doing it by yourself?"

"Brody will be with me," I said. "But, ya. I can't be in two places at once. That'd be really awesome, however."

Ms. Kathy chuckled, and I could tell that she was rubbing her eyes. "Be careful," she said. "Don't fight if you don't have to. We don't need you hurt."

I looked down to see Brody by my side, holding a bag of supplies. "I will probably kick some asses," I said, and she chuckled. "I got to go. I have to call the other place and tell them that I won't be able to go to work." I pulled the bag on my back and gestured for Brody to start running in the direction of Matt's house.

"Ok, will you give me a heads up?"

"Will do," I replied. "I will give you a call if I find anything."

"Thank you." With that, she hung, and I called the office number that Shardul had given me.

Let's hope that it wasn't Marcus, who answers because I was not in the mood.

***

"What do you want?" Marcus asked, answering the phone.

I narrowed my eyes but didn't comment on his behavior. "I won't be able to come today. There has been an attack, and someone is missing. Have everyone indoors or in a safe area. I'll let you know when it is safe to come out."

"So what? Do you want us just to be sitting ducks?" he asked, and I growled in warning.

"I do not want to be worried about your dumb ass while I try to find my mate. This would be the perfect time for another attack, which I am sure they thought of. I can not be in two places at once. Now, send out the message, or I will tell Shardul what I know."

There was silence on the other end of the line, but I knew that he was still there. "You do not know who you are dealing with," he said, and I chuckled darkly.

"No, it is you who don't know who they are dealing with," I said, baring my teeth like a wolf. "I am not someone that will let people walk over me. You better figure that out quick before you lose something."

Again, there was a long pause. "What do I have to lose?"

"Your life," I replied. "It is either your life or the position you have been given. Pick one."

Marcus stayed silent before growling. "I will make the call." And with that, he hung up.

I growled and stuffed my phone into my pocket. I took a deep breath and smelt this acidic smoke smell. "Brody," I said, looking at my brother.

"I smell it," Brody said. He pulled ahead of me and started to lead me to the place where we had smelt it.

My heart thundered in my chest as fear started to spike. I had no idea what it was, and I hoped it wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would be.

When we got over the hill and saw a truck on fire, my heart sank. It was worse than I had thought.