Chapter 41

"Well, I guess it does work," Matt said from where he was sitting. He moved his arm in front of his face to see no scars from the burnt areas. "I am impressed."

"So, am I," I said, sitting back. I was staring at my bracelet and watched as another stone change color.

The stone was the same color as the other one, but I knew that it was for a different purpose. I had completed healing someone and was one step closer to figure out what the hell this meant.

"When'd you get that?" Matt asked, seeing the bracelet on my wrist.

"Same place I had gotten everything else," I replied. I shook my head and walked over to the pile of stuff. "He had given it to me."

"What is it for?" he asked, watching me stuff everything back into my bag.

"I have no idea," I replied. "He said that I needed to fill it to get something." After I finished packing everything, I stood and wiped my hands on my jeans and looked at him. "I have to go," I said, and his face fell.

"Where?" he asked, sounding defeated. "Where are you going? Can I come?"

"I have to go to a meeting," I said. I checked the time on my phone and pursed my lips. "I have fifteen minutes to get there."

"Oh," Matt said. He cocked his head and stared at me with his big eyes, probably trying to make me say yes. "Can I come?"

I shook my head, no. "I want you to get some sleep. We can walk around later."

Matt's face fell but nodded. "Ok," he said. "But, I want a kiss first before you leave."

I rolled my eyes but nodded. "Fine," I said, walking back over to him. I kissed him on his cheek before starting to walk away.

"Hold it," Matt said, grabbing my hand. He pulled me towards him again, and I laughed while he tapped on his lips. "Kiss me here."

"You didn't tell me how to kiss you," I teased. I pecked his lips, and he huffed and rolled his eyes.

"Better, but I can't tell if you mean it or not," he said, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

I gave him a slow and deep kiss before pulling away. "Better?" I asked, teasingly when I saw his dazed look.

Matt opened his eyes and cleared his throat. "One more," he said. "Just to make sure."

Again, I rolled my eyes but complied and gave him another slow and deep kiss. "I love you," I whispered, pulling away from him.

"I love you, too," he said. "Now, go. We do not want them to come up here and forbid me from seeing you. I don't know what I will do if that happened."

"Become Romeo and Juliet," I replied. I pursed my lips and narrowed my eyes. "Without killing ourselves over it."

"I don't know," Matt teased. "Sometimes, it feels like we have to to get people's attitudes to change." He paused and cocked his head. "Then again... forbidding people from going into the backyard seemed to work."

"It has, hasn't it?" I asked, cocking my head. I furrowed my brows. "Well, I do need to go." I gave him a quick kiss. "Sleep well."

"I will," Matt promised. "When you get back, you are going to go to sleep. You need it." He gave me a pointed look, and I shut my mouth.

"Yes, Dad," I huffed before leaving the room.

"I love you," Matt called out just as I was about to close the door.

"Fuck you."

***

"I am glad that you could finally join us, Martha," Faolon said when he saw me walk into the meeting area. "What news have you brought?"

"I can confirm that one of Shardul's members have been kidnapped," I said. "A little girl named Bethany, and I don't know where she is."

There was a deep murmur as everyone became nervous. They kept glancing around as if they were trying to see through the shadows of the lengthening darkness.

"When?" Faolon asked.

"Today," I replied. "This morning." I licked my lips and hesitated. I had no idea what all I could provide, knowing that if there were any disgruntled people, they could use it against me. "I would like to talk to you and Lobo later after we are finished here," I added, and Faolon and Lobo looked at each other before they looked at me.

"Why can't you tell us?" one of my packmates asked. "Why are you hiding stuff from us?"

"Same reason as some stuff is hidden from me," I replied, looking at the pack member. I moved a hand through my hair and sighed, feeling rather tired. "It's to protect you all from what is coming, for now."

"For now?" the person asked, and I nodded. "Why?"

"Because I want to get more information first before I say anything that could hurt us," I replied. "And the other Halftons," I replied. "I want to make sure that everyone stays alive, but I know that can't happen."

"And why not?"

"Because I am still the only one that can kill them, and I haven't faced these... stronger ones yet," I replied. "I do want to see if there is a way that others will be able to them and if so, how."

There was a murmur of voices, and I could tell that some were getting ansty to help out in killing them.

"Do you have an informant or someone that you get information from?" someone asked, and I nodded. "Who?"

"A Snakeston," I replied. I held back an eye roll as almost everyone growled and frowned. "Yes, I know that there are some that are dangerous, but there are two that I do trust. Do I trust them with my life? No, but that doesn't mean I don't trust them."

"And if you are wrong? What will happen to them?"

"I kill them," I replied nonchalantly. I shrugged my shoulder and stuffed my hands in my pockets. "They already know that."

"Then why will they help you?"

"Hope," I replied. "For some reason, I give them hope, and I am going to make sure that that hope isn't misplaced."