chapter 7

Once the school day ended I was more then exhausted. It wasn't the classes that had me drained. It was the people in them, also it was the endless introduction. I highly doubt people cared about the whole "one thing about myself" thing. I know I didn't, if I wanted to know stuff about you I would ask.

Coming home felt like walking to heaven. What I imagined would happen when I got home was my mom asking me about my day then over react about everything I say I did. Then, she'll probably give me yet another lecture about the importance of not screwing up in high school. That's not what happened.

I walked into the kitchen as she was preparing lunch and she said, "hey honey how was your day?" I then commenced telling her an abridge version of what I did. I left out the parts I knew she couldn't handle, like Josh threatening me.

I waited about five minutes for her scene. She only continued seasoning the chicken in the pan. Another five minutes went by and I just stared at her in confusion. Why was she just cooking? Where was the over the top reaction, the lecture? Was this even my mother?

"Hey mom...are you feeling okay?" I asked as she started cutting carrots. She seemed really distracted. Something was clearly wrong.

My mom turned to me and smiled brightly."Hmm..yes Carter everything is just peachy. Go wash up the chicken will be ready soon." Huh...I've never seen her act this way. Brushing off her odd behavior I walked to my room and decided it was too hot to wear jeans, so I changed into sport shorts.

A soft knock made it's way to my open door. I turned around and saw Chase standing at my door. He had a confused gaze on his eyes. Giving him a what-do-you-want look, I sat on my bed and awaited his response.

"What's with mom? She's so relaxed and chill.." Chase asked. He leaned against the door frame and ran a lazy hand through his hair. I gave my response a quick thought. It does seem very strange for my mom to be so relaxed and not ask loads of questions.

"Well my first thought is maybe she's on drugs, but if she was I would have smelled something strange. Maybe she's going to confront the both of us about something—dear god what did you do? You must have done something." I demanded. I haven't done anything bad so Chase obviously fucked up.

He frowned and shoved me off my bed. "What makes you think I did something wrong?"

Getting back on my bed I slap his arm and adjust my hair. This kid can't be real, he always does something wrong. It was time to set him straight. "I obviously didn't do anything,I'm an obedient child. You may be her favorite, but you're the one that fucks up the most."  I huffed in a matter-of-fact tone. "Look, at lunch I'll sneakily curse and if she reacts then we're fine." I continued.

"And if she doesn't react like she does?" He asked. I gave him an annoyed look. No wonder I whoop his ass in academics, he has no common sense, he barely has any general sense at all. Pushing him out the door I say, "we confront her, duh."

A half hour later the three of us sat in an awkward silence at the table. Everyone was eating the over cooked chicken and vegetables on the side. Chase and I kept sending each other quick glances. Before sitting down we made a plan to feign a fight. The fight would give me a chance to curse. We would then see what she would do.

"So Chase, how was your first day, did you make any new friends?" I started. My mom continued eating. She didn't seem to be paying attention to us at all, her focus was mostly directed to her phone across from her.

"Well I tried very hard to show off my lovable personality, but no one seemed interested. I saw it wasn't working so I started a fight with a geeky kid." He responded casually. This was the point where my mom was supposed to explode and ground him. She didn't move, her eyes remained glued to her phone. What was with her and her phone. She doesn't text anyone...

I cleared my throat then spoke my next line. "James that's a fucked up thing to do. Don't be an asshole to people you shitface ." Making sure to dramatically emphasize my curse words, I waited for my mom to yell at me. Chase shared a confused and worried glanced with me. My mom looked up at me then back at her phone.

My confusion was quickly swept away and replaced by anger. Really, was she playing a joke or something because no one was laughing. Her phone buzzed and I saw her reach for it. Because I'm faster then my ancient mother, I snatched the phone first. Standing up, she finally gave me fer full attention.

"Carter give me my phone." She demanded in a harsh tone. It caught me off guard, but she must have forgotten who she was talking to because I sure as hell know she would never speak like that to me or Chase. This lady was not my mother.

I gave her a cheeky grin and stood up. "Of course I'll give you your phone dear mother. I'l give it to you as soon as you tell me who texted you."

She started fidgeting with her ring, a clear sign that she was nervous. What was she hiding? Deciding to ask again I repeated myself. "Mother. Who texted you?"

"Jesus Carter it was Chase's doctor! He's scheduled for an appoin-"

I cut her off with another question. "When, because he had his yearly appointment last month. Is he sick?"

She sighed and held her hand out, indicating for me to give her the phone. " N-No, I meant to say my doctor."

"Interesting." I said with irritation. "So you won't mind if I look at the message then? It's only your doctor right?" I added on.

"Carter what game are you trying to play!" My mom yelled. Oh I was totally checking that message. I began unlocking her phone. From the corner of my eye I saw her coming closer. Chase blocked her, giving me enough time to move away.

"What's your pass-" I started.

"That is none of your business, give me my phone!" She glared at me. I saw her glare as a challenge. Did she really believe I was going to give her her phone without seeing that message. She may be my mother, but I don't give up easily to anyone.

"Try my birthday." Chase piped up. After he said that my mother jumped for her phone, but again I was faster. Typing in his birthday the phone unlocked. Quickly I swiped the screen looking for the messages app. Within finding it I opened it and saw a text from an unfamiliar name. The text I read said: See you at brunch tomorrow. Not only that it also had three heart emojis. Three.

"Who is Frank?!" I yell with anger. Who was this man texting my mom.