Chapter 28

The car ride was not as Carter had hoped. She sat placidly starring out the window with a frown as light raindrops had begun to fall. Things had started off great when they first seated themselves inside the extravagant vehicle, until Josh received a phone call. Once he received the call he only spoke in a hushed tone to the stranger on the other end, it went on like this until the car rolled to a stop in front of a giant black gated stoned road. 

"Ah...I'm sorry, but I have to go. The driver will escort you inside, where I will meet you soon." Josh smiled to Carter's horror, then proceeded to get out of the car. Carter could not help the disappointment that plagued her. How could he just ditch her? Sinking into her seat, she catch the driver shooting her a comforting glance from the rear view mirror. 

After a twenty minute drive, the car rolled to a stop. A man opened Carter's door and took her hand to lead her inside. Laid out in front of her was a grand red carpet leading to an enormous house. To Carter the rug seemed extra and unneeded, it's not like there were any celebrities around. Allowing the thought to hover, Carter came to the conclusion that she wouldn't be surprised if there actually was celebrities attending given how lavish the property was. 

Before entering the house a woman wearing a peacock inspired mask held out a silver tray with a variety of masks on it. The small brunette gave me confused glance, seeing as I was wearing a color against the dress code. "I'm sorry ma'am there is a strict dress code..." she trailed off as a tall figure made his way towards us. 

The young an seemed around my age, probably a year or two  older. He wore a small smile that didn't reach his eyes all the way. When he came over his grey eyes stood out, out of all his facial features. His mask resembled the face of a raven with different tones of matte black. The suit he wore matched the same shade of ebony black of the small, sharp beak of the mask piece. The longer Carter starred at him the more oblivious she became that he was aware of her gawking.

"Hello Annette."

"Theo.."

"What seems to be the problem?"

"There's no problem, she's just wearing an inappropriate co-" 

She was cut off by the man known as Theo's low chuckle. "She has blessing from the house."

Annette sighed holding out the masks once more, only more begrudgingly, an act Carter seemed getting annoyed by. "Choose your mask and get going." Carter was about to butt in her two cents,  but before she could Theo selected a mask that resembled his, but where his resembled the face of a raven, hers resembled a shorter beak and wing sprouting out the side. Although Carter didn't notice, Theo chose a mask much more unique then the rest. It was the same shade as her dress and it possessed the quality of mystery, whereas the rest of the masks for the ladies held strong appearance to the wing of a butterfly covering half of the mask. Also, the rest of the masks that held feathers were actually feathers, rather annoying to be rubbing around a face the entire evening. Carter's mask was special, the wings that stuck out were carved attached using the same material as the mask itself. 

Once she slipped on the mask, Theo held out his arm for her to take, which she did hesitantly. Walking inside she noticed some people turning to stare at her. Carter assumed they were all glancing at her bright pink hair, causing her to become self conscious. 

"So what's a pretty girl like you doing here. I don't recall ever seeing a pink haired girl coming to the estate. You must have been invited by someone." He smiled while leading her to a side area excluded from the rest of the people. 

"Um..Josh invited me he's the son of the Holden's." Theo sat on a velvety armchair as he gestured Carter to take a seat wherever she'd like. She chose to sit on a nearby antique looking couch, not realizing there was a full length mirror across from her. Her eyes trailed to the mirror looking at the well fitting dress she wore; the dress held a mermaid style with an off the shoulder cut, the trim being slightly wavy, flowing at the knees the back was a black lace along with the chest piece, suited with a black sash. Carter still didn't have a clue who sent the dress, she had guessed it was Josh, but he made no remark of it in the car. 

"Hmm...you came with Josh, yet you sit before me alone." Carter took the stranger's words as a cue to leave. She had no time to be made of, since Josh had ditched her. Within inches of re-joining the guest a hand grabbed her own and pulled her into a fast twirl, resulting in landing roughly in Theo's arms. "I didn't men to make you upset. Really I was just curious how Joshua could leave such a pretty thing like you alone...and in a dress like that." 

Carter cursed herself for the apparent blush illuminating her cheeks. Theo turned her so she was looking straight into his brilliant grey eyes, they gave Josh's the benefit of the doubt, given that Theo's had bright green rims on the inside blending into the gray. 

Taking in the situation Carter took a step back, she knew what she was doing was wrong. She should be with Josh, not Theo. "Thanks for bringing me inside, but I really should find Josh."

"Darling you may be looking for him, but I'm absolutely positive he is not looking for you." He smiled, his eyes glinting in a knowing way. Carter threw him what she hoped was a deadly glare, and it was everything she hoped for and more given his next words. "Wow, if looks could kill your chocolate brown eyes would have had me obliterated by now. Listen I didn't say what I said to be mean, turn around and see for yourself. 

Turning her head she saw a tall blonde hooking a finger underneath Josh's bow tie, signaling him to lean in. Carter couldn't believe her eyes, she didn't even bother to continue watching the scene as turned the opposite direction and walked through a random hall, hoping it would just swallow her whole and take her away from everything. 

Instead, Theo caught up to her, placing his warm hands on her exposed shoulders, he guided her through different halls until they reached a large balcony overlooking a small man-made lake. 

Leaning against the concrete rail, she was starting to feel more anger then sadness. Seeming to catch on to her change of mood Theo left. About ten or so minutes he returned with a basket carrying some dishes. He smiled at her and held out the basket to her. "Break one." He said in a leveled tone. 

Casting him a weird glance he grabbed a light blue plate and threw it down to the floor as if the floor could catch the porcelain plate. Shocked Carter yelled,"what the hell are you doing!"

Theo laughed and did the same to a wine glass."You my dear are very, very angry, and so we must break something to bring you back to a calmer emotion." Handing her a similar wine glass he urged her to throw it, which she did, and the view of the glass shattering  couldn't have felt better then it did in the moment. And the unlikely pair kept at it, glass after plate shattered, the small pieces littering the floor and even slipping off the balcony. In the end they both laughed, returning to the view of the lake as the son was beginning to set.