Chapter 21

After a lengthy uber ride back home, I stood in front of my house with Josh next to me. Who would've thought the new, awkward girl would spent an adventurous night with the most popular boy in school.

Minutes passed then Josh turned to face me, glancing over at him I saw a glint of a smile begin to form on his lips. As quickly as it appeared, it faded into a frown just as fast. I could feel my heart beat faster at the sudden change of mood.

"Listen. What happened tonight will never leave my memory," he started. His gaze shifted to the ground as he took a step away from me." But...we can't bring it up publicly. As soon as we get on campus what happened tonight never happened."

The words leaving his mouth had me drowning in a wave of mixed emotions. Visuals of tonight's events flashed through my head as I felt my eyes water. Idiot... did you really believe someone like him would want to be seen or be recognized with someone like you. An abundance of thoughts clouded my mind, reminding me of my place in our high school's social class and in society itself. I was nothing, he was something; Josh had a promising future set in stone, what I had was something less.

"Leave." I spat, my voice hinting a tone of venom. Slipping off his sweater, I slammed it into his chest before running inside.

From behind me I heard his soft steps trailing away. A part of me wanted him to chase after me, wanted him to pull me into an embrace and make me realize I mattered somewhat to him. None of that cliché bullshit happened, instead hot tears dropped from my cheeks and splattered on to the hallway tile floor.

A click sound rang through the house as I looked to my left to see Frank sitting on the couch, magazine in hand. Quickly I ran my palm across both my eyes, concealing my tears from his view. Upon seeing me he stoop up and made his way over.

"Where have you been?" He asked in a demanding tone. If I had said his words didn't surprise me I would be lying. Not only did I just have a heart breaking moment seconds ago, but now I'm hearing my mom's boyfriend demand to know where I was. If this was a show I would have been clapping slowly as the universe perfectly aligned these two moments in outstanding sequence. This was just what I needed.

Keeping my vision focused straight ahead at the stair case I replied,"that's none of your concern." I then proceeded to walk casually up the stairs and into my room.

Once I had reached my room I collapsed onto my bed and placed my glasses on the floor. My phone bizarrely began to buzz after I had turned it off earlier tonight. Viewing my screen I grew angry as my "friends" only now began to reply to my texts. Where were they when I needed them! Now that I'm home they barely begin to worry.

Without thought I threw my phone across the room. Grabbing my blanket I wrapped myself in it and closed my eyes, despite knowing I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight.

----------------------

The following morning I had made a pact with myself: I don't think or talk about tomorrow because it didn't happen. Breathing in I forced a smile on my face as I began to get ready to face the day.

After going through my usual morning route I subtly slipped out the door while my mom was on the floor. This wasn't the morning to get into a fight. After yester— I didn't finish my thought. The pact! I reminded myself.

"Focus on the scenery around you Carter." I said aloud to myself. Today was going to be a great day, even if I had to lie to myself about the true reality of it.

----------------------
Sorry!
I know I should be updating more but it's difficult for me. I know that's also a very lame excuse.
As an apology I will be posting a chapter either tomorrow or Thursday along with the "usual" update.

Also please remember to check out my second book "Venus".
As always a thanks for reading! ❤️