Chapter 34

From across the room he wrinkled his nose in the direction of the boy, who seemed was going to be a problem. He had planned this dinner so perfectly, the purpose of it being to assert his place in this little monarchy. To him their family was a wreck, no doubt the impact the previous man had left behind was catastrophic. And to be completely honest it was admirable.

Mr. Hayden had managed to utterly break down a woman that was once as hard as a diamond. Such a charming woman, definitely worn out by time and pain. She was pitiful proof that time most definitely did not heal all wounds.

The boy, was very sophisticated, however was incapable of expressing it. By the way he does what he can to please his mother, shows he has never had a sliver of actual power. Other boys would have flourished and even manipulates their mothers to do whatever they please.

Now the girl. She was something else entirely. Putting up a guard was too easy for her, however the way she hid her emotions could use work. Any observant mind could see right through those chocolaty eyes. Rebellious no doubt, but she was also very much isolated because of her mother. The endless things she could do if she put her mind to it, simply captivating.

So now the game starts, thought the doctor. How far could he push this family before they all completely tumbled. But then his thoughts came back to the troublesome boy. Josh needed to be kept away from his family of puppets. From the way he starred at Carter only proved that Josh was feeling something for her. It was amusing to watch, however it was more of a bump in his plot, rather than a form of entertainment on the side.

She was absolutely radiant, the dress she wore proved to be such a slap to the face. All Josh could focus on was her. Carter was so much more than any other girl he had spent time with. It was making him sick, the way their relationship seemed like such a cliche. But, he also couldn't care less.

At the party he realized she was a whole other ball park. He watched the way her eyes slowly gloss, and it felt like someone flicked his heart. Josh observed her small movements; the way her nose wrinkled at the offer of a glass of wine, the way she slowly ran her fingers on he edges of her water glass, and even the way she rolled her eyes anytime her mom spoke to her apparent step-dad. All Josh wanted to do was take in everything she did.

The way he kept his eyes on her mother reminded Carter of a wolf stalking a lamb. Her mom was not naive or innocent, but she was oblivious. As much as she warned Carter of what ugly things lurked in the world, she couldn't see one of the most horrendous things speaking to her. Frank was beginning to drive Carter insane, she knew his motives were more than just be a loving boyfriend to her mother. He was playing safe, just the calming before the storm.

Closely she noticed how he kept his eyes on her mother, but then every minute or so they would flicker to Josh, or possibly his father. Underneath the table her nails sunk into the flesh of her palms, it was only a pinch, nothing capable of scarring. The expression on her face remained indifferent, all she wanted was to go back home and smother herself in another universe within the pages of a book.

"Cassandra? Am I correct?" Asked Mr. Adams. The way her mother's name rolled off his taunting tongue sickened Carter. It was more than obvious any word Mr. Adams said had an impact on his employees and even fellow board members, even a yawn would cease any former conversations.

And so, all eyes fell upon the frail Cassandra. Being the oblivious one, she hadn't noticed the people all starting at her. She smiled sweetly and addressed him in return," you are correct Mr..." The sound of her voice slowly drowned out, she had realized none of the men at the table had even introduced themselves yet.

"I go by Mr.Adams," he said potently,his hands adjusting his navy blue tie. "You see I was just speaking to my assistant here about not recognizing you. I'm sure we spoke at my annual Christmas event. Funny really, because I crisply remember Carter, however cannot recall your presence."

Josh turned to look at his father, seeming to understand the point he was trying to make. "Um..fath—," Josh was cut off by his father's hand.

Cassandra's smile remained, however it seemed to slowly lose its glow. "Remind me again when you hosted this gathering," slow an articulated came her words. Each word taking a stab at Carter, hoping that she was getting the dangerous message.

"The week before Christmas."

She took a slow sip of wine, dabbing away at any stains surrounding her already red stained lips. "That's the day Hank took me out to a special dinner. You'll have to excuse my absence, my plans tend to overlap from time to time," she finished.

Carter gazed over at Josh, who's own attention remained glued on his father. She wanted to scream, to bed Josh to make his father stop.

She had no idea what Mr. Adams had against her, but it was obvious he held some sort of distaste towards her.

"Sir, Mrs.Adams is requesting a call," muttered a man beside Josh, a phone prominent in his hand.

Mr.Adams grabbed the phone then turned his focus towards the table, "please excuse me."

Carter decided to seize this small window of opportunity to talk to Josh. "Joshua I don't remember the procedure for our AP chemistry project, could you please remind me...outside?" Her voice was tinted with demand and Josh simply nodded. He stood up, excused himself, then waited for Carter to take his arm. The pair then made their exit through the nearest door.