chapter 14

In the back of a modernized Volkswagen hippy van I sat looking out the window. My elbow made contact with the cold window as I starred at the on going road. The road itself was beautiful consisting of floral fields and the occasional set of hills.

My mind was still trying to wrap itself around what had happened only an hour ago. Josh's face was still freshly printed in my memory, along with the image of Dylan furiously making accusations. It seemed like it was only minutes ago Josh was hovering over me as droplets of his blood splashed on my face and hoodie. His words haven't stopped replaying in my head. Meet me for coffee next weekend.

As fast as I began to space out I was grounded by Katia's boyfriend, Will. "So Carter, Katia told me you recently moved here." His eyes met mind through the rear view mirror. My arm moved down to my lap and I sat up in the leather sofa. "All the way from California right? That's one hell of a move."

A feign smile spread across my face. "Yeah my mom got promoted and the move went with it." He doesn't say anything else and I turn my focus towards Dylan. His attention is on a book, his stepsister happily asleep against him. Her head is sat on Dylan's shoulder making her dark hair cascade down both of them.

From the back I hear Ella and Ryan quarreling above a whisper. The pair have been that way for about twenty minutes now. As amusing as it is to see them bicker my mind roams back to the recent incident.

A half hour goes by and we are nearing the beach. The ocean breeze makes it's way through the open windows and spreads throughout the van. By now Ryan and Ella have fallen asleep, both of them resting against poor Lucas. He seems genuinely annoyed that they have forced him into the middle of their sleepy sandwich. I can't help but smile at the way they look.

"We're here!!" Katia yells. Unlike Megan, Ryan and Ella aren't deep sleepers, so they immediately sit up, sleep still lingering in their eyes. Megan stays sleeping on Dylan's shoulder and Dylan continues reading.

Dylan hadn't said a word to me since we entered the van. Every now and then he would send me disappointed looks when he thought I was looking through the window. I didn't understand why he was upset, after all I was the one that was almost hit. Whatever the reason for his anger, I wasn't convinced I did something wrong. If he wants to give me the silent treatment then I would return the favor.

Eventually the Will parked the van and we made our way to the ocean. Despite the crisp wind hitting against my skin, I still ran out of the van and ran in the blanket of sea foam. Goosebumps crept onto my skin as I ran deeper into the ocean. The others were also running around widely, well everyone except Dylan and Will who stayed back at the van to unload.

We continued to run around until Dylan made us all set up a spot on the beach, not that it was full. Only a couple families and groups of people loitered the beach.

Once we had everything settled everyone broke into smaller groups. I didn't feel like joining the small talk so I sat on a piece of drift wood, away from everyone else. The ocean drowned out their voices and before I knew it my mind began roaming again.

Why would he want to meet up with me?

My mind debated on taking Josh's offer. Josh was so bipolar, he probably wants me to tell everyone about him saving me. I was begging to think I'm Josh's publicity case.

A rock made a loud splash just a couple feet away from me, making small droplets become air born. Behind me someone throws another and more droplets scatter the air. Dylan sits beside me and hands me a couple rocks.

"C, can we talk?" I stay facing forward but see him looking at me from the corner of my eye. "I didn't mean to ignore you the whole trip. I just can't believe you defended him."

Standing up I take a couple steps forward and allow the cold water engulf my ankles.

"Dylan...I was just telling the truth. He didn't hit me the blood you saw was his."

Dylan sighs and tosses another rock. "I know how he can be. He could be making you lie..."

I turn around and stand in front of him. Hide eyes lock on mine and I see something stir inside him. "Dylan I promise he didn't hurt me. I wouldn't lie to you..." He stands up and towers over me then he unexpectedly pulls me into his embrace.

"If you're saying he didn't do anything to you then I believe you." He muffles into my hair. "But, I don't want you meeting up with him."

I sigh into his shoulder. "If it makes your day then fine."

"Thanks C."

"Dylan?"

"Yeah?"

"Get off me."

-------------------------------------------
Sorry it took so long to upload. Writer's block is a pain in the ass.