Chapter 9

September went by in a blur. The leaves on the trees radiated with bright red, yellow and orange leaves. Days began to shorten and nights began to stretch on. Everyone adjusted to their own schedule, the waves of nervousness fading into familiarity.

I continued to hang out with Dylan, Meg and their group of friends. However, through out the weeks I still continued to lose sense of reality in books during lunch. Sometimes in the library, other times around my new friends. Overall life was going smoothly.

The only thing that always cause disruption in my thoughts, was Josh. Since the first day of school I thought I had him...figured out. Apparently I didn't. Sitting next to him in English was the most confusing thing ever. There were some days he would spark a conversation about a book. We would make cheesy jokes, or puns about books. He made me feel like I could actually forget about our bad blood. But then...there would be other days where he would say rude things. Josh would "accidentally" shove my book off the table. I didn't understand how he could come close to being my friend one day then become borderline enemy.

*Friday Morning*

"Carter" I heard a lilting voice say. Me being half awake didn't bother replying. Pokes and flicks began to greet me. A soft grunt escaped my mouth and I rolled on my side.

"Go away..." I mumbled lazily. Clutching my blanket closer, I hoped the voice would go away. Of course the voice decided to complete it's mission of dragging me back to reality. "Carter!" Suddenly there was cold floor beneath me. My eyes shot open and a familiar pair of black vans came into view.

"Jesus Dylan, a simple 'wake up' would've woken me up." I nagged at Dylan, who was now emitting a light chuckle. He crouched down next to me and whispered, " wake up," into my ear, his soft breath tickling me. Rising to my feet I shoved him, causing him to tumble over. We both laughed and then he commenced to get up.

"Carter I'm going to see Fran-" My mom's voice was cut off as she stopped at my door frame. She leaned against it and gave a small smile. I rejected her smile and frowned at her. My mom was still seeing Frank, she even had the audacity to bring him unexpectedly to diner one night. Never had I felt such hatred toward someone I barely even knew. Just his presence was enough to make me get up and leave the room, which I did. Even now I still was against him being with my mom, not like they gave a shit anyways.

"You don't have to say his name, just leave." She closed my door and I turned to Dylan. He didn't seem phased by the little family drama. Dylan only gave me a warm smile, which I happily accepted. Sitting on my bed he tossed a shirt at me. "Go get changed C. You got ten minutes."

Minutes later I was dressed and we were down stairs eating cereal. Dylan had made himself comfortable here in the short time we became friends. He comes over all the time, even if I'm not here. Out of all the times I've moved, I've never felt so grateful to have someone like Dylan as a friend.

"C, it's time to go." Dylan says with a mouthful of cereal. Looking at my phone, I glance at the time and sigh."Dylan...I really, really don't wanna go to school."
I whine. He flicks my forehead and grabs his beanie off the table. With an exaggerated sigh I grab my keys and walk out the door. Dylan is such a geek, sadly he is a fast walking geek. I had to jog to catch up, once I did I snatched his beanie and kept going.

"Carter!" I heard Dylan yell. Ignoring his constant yells I continued to jog until I collided with someone, leaving me on the floor. I must have hit the person really hard because I felt a little dizzy and my vision was a bit blurry. Every couple seconds I kept apologizing, fearing they were angry. A hand helped me up and my eyes met grey. The hand helping me belonged to Josh.

"Already falling for me?" I frowned at Josh. What a cheesy line. "Already looking for your daily hook up?" I shoot back. He only rolls his eyes and a small smirk spreads across his lips. Looking down at my hands, I notice he still hasn't let them go, deciding not to play his game I snatch my hand back.

"There you are C, for someon-" Dylan came jogging up to us and sends me a confused glance once he sees Josh.

"Who's this Carter?" Josh asks turning to face me. Eyeing Dylan, my mind suddenly goes blank. I couldn't think. Why couldn't I just say Dylan was my friend? For some weird reason I wanted Josh to be jealous of Dylan. Without thinking I blurt "he's my boyfriend,". Walking over to Dylan I wrap my arms around his waist and smile up at him.

"Babe can we go now I don't wanna be late for class," Dylan adds. Smirking at Josh I give him a teasing wave goodbye and walk away with Dylan, our fingers intertwined. Once we're a block away Dylan begins laughing. "Boyfriend? Really, is that the best you could do, you couldn't even sell it to him." I could feel my cheeks being tinted red. Could I embarrass myself even more. Throwing his arms around my shoulders, Dylan laughs and grabs his beanie out of my hands. "C, I'm kidding, but you owe me one ya know?" I breath a sigh of relief and smile at him. Dylan really is one of the greatest friends I've ever had.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's 1:28 am and I'm pretty sure I ate something out of date. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter.