Chapter 15

The day was spent frolicking and eating at the beach. Of course Ella wanted to take aesthetic pictures for her Instagram feed. I was honored she wanted my silhouette under the wharf. If anyone was going to model for her feed I thought it would be herself, her being the most athletic and well built after all. 

As the sun dipped into the horizon, creating different arrays of pink, orange and purple, the guys suggested we go to the boardwalk. The first thought that ran through my mind was the idea of roller coasters. For me roller coasters were only good for metaphors, the physical ride was something I took pride in avoiding. 

While everyone thrived against the many tinted lights of the boardwalk, I stayed at the end of the group with Katia. I was coming up with excuses in my head to avoid a possible trip to Whiplash. Whiplash is a very known roller coaster in the nearby cities. Katia was giving me a full presentation on it as if she were earning a grade for it. As she went on giving in depth details about the many loops, turns and drops, I felt my stomach do a loop of it's own.

"And...it also goes backwards!!" My eyes widened at the thought of doing everything again, but backwards. I looked at the group with utter confusion...how could they find Whiplash fun and not dangerous? Going on that coaster was basically gambling with death itself. 

Eventually Katia moved to the front of the group to be with Will. I enjoyed the background noise of the rides and the endless chatter of the ocean of people roaming the boardwalk. My enjoyment lasted about ten minutes before Meg began walking with me. 

"C! Isn't the boardwalk just the best? I can't wait to ride Whiplash...in fact I think we're heading towards the line right now!" Megan was basically jumping with all the adrenaline beginning to form inside her. If anyone was capable to ride Whiplash it would be her. 

My gaze found itself on Lucas. He didn't seemed phased by the coaster at all. His mouth was in a neutral line and his eyes weren't on a screen . Out of everyone in the group I've talked to him the least. Every time I look at him he's on his phone or reading. Right now he seemed like a complete different person. Lucas must've felt my eyes on him because he glanced at me and moved to the front. 

We joined the line for the death trap. My heart beat quickened and I gave my back to the roller coaster not daring to see the look of horror on it's prey. Screams of joy and terror filled the air around me. Fuck this coaster I'm getting food.

I squeezed my way through Ryan and Ella. My foot got caught in the uneven pavement and I found myself tumbling down in front of Dylan. He gave me an amused look that was joined with a raised brow. My face began to heat up at the thought of anyone seeing me trip.

"C you okay there?" Dylan asked behind a muffled chuckle. He held out his hand and I took his offer. In an effortless way he got me back on my feet. A slick smirk spread across his lips. "Any reason you tripped to get to me? Or did you just want my attention?" His hand was still holding onto mine, I pulled mine back and saw his cheeks flush.

"I'm not going to risk my life on that death trap, so I'm going to go stuff my face with all the food they sell here." He let out a light laugh which I responded with a playful eye roll. "Bye Dylan I'll see you after...that is if you live." I made a wave motion with my arms in an ominous way, as I backed away.

Getting to an ice cream stand at a crowded board walk is one of the most difficult tasks ever created. I might as well have been stuck in a forest where the tree's branches are exaggeratedly sticking out. 

When I finally found myself in front of the stand I ordered a vanilla and chocolate swirled ice cream. I began to reach into my pocket for a five dollar bill but someone handed the cashier a twenty.

"She's with me."

---------------------------------------------

I am very sorry my updates have been all over the place. I'll try harder to get a chapter up at least once or twice a week. Thank you to everyone who has been reading my story so far and getting it to over a hundred reads. Every read really does help, so thanks. 

Side note: who could this stranger be? Let's see if you can guess it right.