Chapter 29

"So what's the story behind your pink hair?"

The smile that lit up Carter's face was bright enough to light an entire night sky, and that's exactly how Theo saw her, only he felt she was the sun to his Earth. And so Carter briskly retold the events that came with the 'at the moment' tragedy of her hair. Amusement in the specks of green danced around Theo's gray eyes, he adored not only the pink haired girl's tale, but the way she told it. In return Carter found fondness in his melodic laugh and his shinning smile, and his chaotic curls, and the way he kept inching his hand closer to hers. 

The pair spent the hour talking and joking. Leaning against the side of the entry way someone gave into their conversation, his face placid at the mindless chatter exchange. It made him envious how his half-brother  simply came and swooped Carter away as if she were a flower he was picking.

Carter and Theo were too busy joking to notice the clouds stirring together. A drop of water splashed against Carter's cheek, gazing to the skies Theo grabbed her small hand and led her inside. 

Everyone was already dancing inside. Lady after lady pranced by with her partner holding her firmly as they waltz around the dance floor. The rest of the girls wore magnificent shades of red, green, gold and white, while Carter wore a ebony black dress. All the bitter and unimpressed looks from  the guests made Carter want to sink in through a crack in the floor. 

Out of the corner of her eyes Carter spotted a very bright white dress flash by. It seemed like time slowed down just so that she could feel every painful second she witnessed Josh dance with someone she knew all to well. Across from them, Josh spun Meg around, her dress making her appear like a graceful speck of snow swirling in the air. 

No doubt Meg looked stunning, her short black hair was in soft waves, her dress hit snug against her chest in a sweetheart neckline , while the rest flowed down loosely. 

Theo also seemed to be watching them, however what he mostly observed was Carter and how placid her expression became. It nearly drove him to a state of madness seeing his bright sun dim, simply because of some asshole. He knew, he knew all to well how much better off Carter would be with himself rather than Josh. Meg wasn't helping the situation, she knew...but that didn't even stop her from trying to changing what was already past the point of change. 

"Darling!" A voice cried out through the crowd. Theo's stepmother appeared out of nowhere, making both him and Carter snap out of their thoughts. "I thought you said you weren't going to come?...Who's your friend?" 

"This is Carter, we met earlier in th-" Theo didn't have the chance to finish his sentence once his dad entered their small union joined by Josh and Meg. 

"Boys! So glad you both made it, and with lovely ladies." Mr. Sanders snaked his arms around the shoulders of his sons. While Josh stiffened his posture, Theo seemed on the verge of frowning. There was obvious distaste between the trio. Beside Mrs. Hudson Meg avoided Carter's intimidating glare. "Meg I have made your acquaintance, however you my dear, you're a new face and quite the...character," he finished looking Carter's gown up and down. 

"This is Carter...she's Joshua's date." Theo said, careful not to let any venomous tone slip out. 

A new song began and people had begun to place themselves around the floor. Their conversation died as Mr. Sanders pulled Carter to a spot. Once the melody began to flow he lead the dance. Across from them Meg and Theo were also dancing, but also seemed to be slipping words to one another, to their left Josh lead his mother through the dance. 

"Darling...tell me what it is about you that has my son overworked." Mr. Sanders whispered into her ear. The hand holding hers seemed to grow more firm, leading her to believe he had darker intentions than just having a dance with her.

"Sir, I'm not sure what you mean, he invited me as a guest, not as a date." Carter attempted to loosen from his grip, only for him to tighten it even more firmly.

Spinning Carter in towards a circle of women, he threw her a glare daring her to say more. Just when she was about to step back into his embrace, a hand caught hers and pulled her into the familiar dance. 

"What did he tell you." Theo hissed, not at Carter, but more towards the direction of his father. Despite the change in his tone she felt grateful he had rescued her. The image of his father's glare crept into Carter's thoughts, causing a frail shiver to take over her.

Out of slight fear Carter hesitated before stuttering," n-nothing." Then once more she was spun into the large circle of women that only seemed to grow. He was about to question her further until Josh stole his spot and reached for her hand first. 

Her expression grew dangerous as her eyes fixed themselves on his own and she clutched his hand. "What the fuck!" She whispered angrily. His eyes slightly widened at her mood, then he seemed to compose himself and became stagnant. Carter ignored any sentence he was starting to form as she continued, "how could you just ditch me for a random girl and my own friend!"

"You left me for my brother. Don't play innocent." 

They began exchanging words until Josh whispered something vile in her ears," Carter how could you be upset with me when your friends did the same thing when they left you for a better time. Don't tell me you've already forgotten about your fun day at the beach." 

That was the last straw for her. She couldn't take it anymore, he was using the memory of herself at a weak point to get to her. It wasn't fair,one moment they shared a moment and the next he threw her under the bus. At this point she roughly shoved his well built figure away and ran to the exit. He made her sick, using her friends as a way to hurt her.

Theo had witnessed the entire play out and ran to his brother, no one had  expected his fist  connecting with Josh's jaw. It was a raw hit and everyone turned to see, everyone except Carter who ran to the driveway, the rain soaking her dress and smearing her makeup. Theo turned and sent a disgusted look at Meg, then pointed to the back exit.