Chapter 26

"C! How about this one?" Taking out a a red dress Ella smiled and tossed it into my arms. It amazed me how quickly she was able to find these fancy dresses in a matter of seconds, while it took me hours just to find a decent one. 

From behind me I heard a gasp as another dress was hurled at me, its silver shimmery color being the only thing I was able to see.  Sitting down I tried to place the dresses beside me until Ella began scolding me. Sighing I stood up and made my way around the store to find Dylan. Two rackets down and I heard muffled curses joined with the sound of hangers sliding. 

"Why did you bring us along" Ryan whined. Beside him Lucas was on his phone as he slowly scooted dresses to his right. In the racket below Dylan ferociously shoved every dress out of his way. "Are you watching Dylan, he's gone mad trying to find you a dress."

"So many colors...so many sizes..." 

Shoving my dresses onto Dylan's arms I smiled at the three boys. "I would be happy without the three of you here, but Katia insisted. By the way you guys never had to help, you could've just sat and gave opinions,  God knows I would never wear a dress picked out by anyone of you. By the way ha-" Of course my sentence was cut off as I was shoved into a dressing room with twice the amount of dresses I had in my arms now hanging on the door. 

"Try these on while we look for more," Katia whispered outside the dressing room. My eyes widened at the huge pile of dresses waiting to be worn. Butterflies glided in my stomach at the thought of Josh seeing me in any of these chosen dresses. Even though  he's an ass, the image of him being mesmerized by me is something I wanted so badly to happen. 

Hours passed and despite being unsatisfied by what seemed to be over a thousand dresses I finally narrowed it down to one dress. The dress was simple with a strapless trim, it was knee length and flowed above my knees. Picking the dress seemed like a piece of cake compared to the war I underwent to finally have both Katia's and Ella's blessing.

"C are you sure?" Ella asked as she handed my glasses back after I had changed back into my jeans and knitted sweater. Smiling I nodded as I took out my debt card. 

"I'm not really into the whole glamorous, sparkly, dramatic look ya know? I prefer something simple and this dress is right up my ally."

From behind me the guys all whined about wanting to leave already, until Katia screamed at them to shut up. Ignoring the comic scene I made my way to the cashier to pay. Once my dress was bagged I handed her my card. 

The young blonde looked curiously at my card before quickly looking back at me. "You are Carter Wilkins?" She asked with an almost surprised tone, I could even say I was slightly offended by it. Without another glance my way she pulled out a bag from underneath the desk. The pink bag held the company's logo in thick fancy writing, however once she started unfolding the bag it became obvious it was a cover for a black dress. "I was told to give this to you, along with this envelope."

The envelope seemed to be the same shade of ebony black as the dress, there must have been a mistake. Who was I kidding it was clearly meant for me considering my full name was written in an elegant white on the letter. 

From the side of the dress cover I noticed a tag, taking a closer look I noticed it was a price tag...of five hundred dollars and twenty three cents. Softly pushing the items back to the cashier I smiled and shook my head. "I'm sorry but this cannot be for me, I can't even pay for it." Throwing a bored look my way she leaned on the counter and spoke slowly to me as if I were a child. "Listen sweetheart I'm just delivering what I was paid for to deliver, don't make this harder than it needs to."

Rolling my eyes I snatched back the dress and envelope as I made my way out of the store. Making a few turns I made my way over to my friends, who sat at a nearby food court table. Mumbling curse words I plopped down next to Ryan and stole a couple of his fries.

"What's up with you?" Katia scolded as her thin brows furrowed in confusion. 

Glancing up at her I retold my story as the events replayed in my head. In the end once I tossed the envelope on the table, which everyone just starred at confusingly, even Lucas stole glances at the odd item of paper. 

"Are you going to open it?" Dylan asked. Shaking my head I stood up and began gathering my things. "I think I'll open it at home after I come back from the party." I answered plainly.

"I don't understand why you're even going anyways." He scoffed as he rolled his eyes, his strange action took me by surprise. This attitude from no where really didn't fit Dylan's sweetheart persona.

Deciding it was best to avoid an argument I said goodbye to everyone else and made my way home.