Chapter 30

Please excuse my tardiness, but hey, at least I finally uploaded! Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Oh, and this chapter is dedicated to    Tazzchelsea , thanks for the message. :)
*********************

"Do you wanna talk about it?" It was ten at night and there Dylan sat in an empty doughnut shop with Carter opposite of him. He frowned seeing her clear, brown eyes puffy from crying. She insisted it was because of her allergies acting up when passed by a street cat, but they both knew her excuse was a load of...

"Not really, can we talk about how you found me so fast?" She smiled faintly,leaving Dylan sad at how dead the smile seemed, her attempt trying to change the awkward tension. Dylan shrugged and instead picked off chocolate sprinkles from his doughnut. Carter softly poked his hand, urging him to elaborate.

Sighing he took a bite from his doughnut then tossed her a sweater that had been hanging from is chair. "I was already on my way to pick up Ryan from practice." Dylan refused to meet Carter's eyes, instead he studied his doughnut as if expecting it would begin talking. It was strange why he couldn't just say why he found her so easily, but Carter didn't pry, knowing he was stubborn enough to keep the truth to himself.

They sat in silence, Carter traced the path the raindrops left once sliding down the window and Dylan picked the sprinkles off his doughnut. A thought came to Carter and she hugged Dylan's sweater closer to herself. Seeing this action he focused his attention to her.

"Are you st-"

"How does Megan know Josh and his family." Carter interrupted. The image of Meg dancing closely with Josh flashed into Carter's mind, making all her previous emotions flood back to her.  Theo was also painted all over her memory. With all her willpower she tried to push the entire evening out of her head.

Dylan started a sentence, then shut his mouth all together. Setting his elbows on the table he ran a tired hand through his tousled curls, breathing out an exasperated sigh. "Look...Carter things between them are complicated, why do you even bring the-...please tell me she wasn't at the party."

Carter wasn't one to easily cry over a guy, if you were to tell her tears were about to spill from brown eyes in a doughnut shop six months from now, she would have laughed. A thought came to her mind: what made life unfold in a way that would fall to her knees for this guy she had only been around for a few months? There was plenty of other, more nicer guys that she should have roaming her mind, but instead Josh constantly plagued her thoughts.

*     *     *

Dylan gazed at her the way one would at the stars on a clear summer's night, he watched her make her way up the three steps leading to the front door. He noticed how right the dress suited her, and how it accented the vibrant color of her pastel pink hair. She didn't deserved to be treated the way she was by Josh, that jackass could make her chocolate colored eyes light up like fireworks, or shadow with remorse.

It was her soft voice that pulled him back into the moment. "You wanna come in?" Carter looked hopefully at him, making sure to look directly into his lively green eyes.He seemed hesitant, from the way he inspected Carter, he seemed to be balancing out something that could be against him sharing a couple hours together. 

"The rain's probably going to start up again, I should go..."His words slowly died, Carter made her way down the short steps, the sound of her heels echoing, a sad glint flashed across her eyes and before he knew it she was before him.

Carter was a very understanding person, and would never in a million years utter the words: "Then...stay the night." However, she did and in return his eyes widened before he quickly regained a more neutral expression, she had to stop herself from doing the same, as a way to show she meant what she said.

"Carter...I don't want you getting in trouble, besides I don't live that far."

She smiled sadly and nodded before turning around. Once he saw her saddened face he internally groaned before quickly grabbing her hand. "Alright I'll stay, but what will you tell your mom if she finds out?"

"Don't you worry your pretty little head." Carter laughed as she nearly dragged him inside.

*     *     *

Both Carter and Dylan stood in front of her couch starring at the bizarre way Chase had fallen asleep. They looked at each other for a second, then bursts of laughter erupted from the pair. Chase had fallen asleep upside down with his legs wide open hung over the couch, while his arms draped over the gray, fur rug. He slightly stirred, but that didn't stop their child like giggles.

"You're in for quite a night Dyl."

Dylan raised his eyebrows at her," Dyl...really?" He asked.

She beamed a bright smile at him. " Yes really. How is it that you can call me C, but I can't call you Dyl, I may just even call you 'dill pickle'," she said playfully, making sure to exaggerate 'dill pickle'. He only rolled his eyes in return and walked into the kitchen. Dylan began taking out cereal and milk, while Carter ran upstairs to change into pajamas.

Carter smiled to herself, she felt grateful she had the courage to ask him to stay the night, even if it was something she would have never done. Personally, she felt asking guy friend's to sleep over seemed a little too much, maybe it was just the way she was raised, still there was just a tiny part of Carter that believed this was too much.

After changing into a large sweater and plaid pj pants, she began closing her curtains when a familiar car made its way down her street in the direction of her house. Immediately she remembered it was the car that had driven her to the party, turning to her door she nearly completely slammed her hand on the light switch to turn off her light.

Running down the stairs she yelled for Dylan to turn off the kitchen lights, while she turned off the ones in the living room. Her house would have nearly been pitch black, if it wasn't for the street light's pouring in and slightly illuminating parts of the living room.

Dylan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion when he made his way over to her. "What's going on?"