Scroll 01

Seoul, Korea. Year 2008

Joy walked towards the drama set with her mother.
"You have to do well, okay?" Her mother said as they walked through the crowded set. "Don't embarrass me."

Joy can't help but feel hurt by her mother's words yet she kept her face straight, not showing any of her feelings out. They came to a stop before the camera crews as her mother scanned the place for the director. Many crews on the set were running around, getting ready for filming. Some shouted to signal the others while others are busy setting up the equipment.

Her mother quickened the pace the moment she found who she's looking for. Joy followed behind closely, afraid to be lost in this unfamiliar place.

"Hello, director!" Her mother greeted the Director friendly.
"Hey! You are becoming prettier and prettier!" The Director smiled warmly before looking down at the small little girl. "Who is this? Your daughter?"
Her mother nodded and flashed a smile at Joy. "Joy Park Sooyoung."
Deep down, Joy knew those smiles weren't genuine.

Still, she bowed politely, afraid to get on the bad side of her mother. "Nice to meet you." She gave a shy smile.
"Joy?" The Director took a moment to think. "Ah, the new child actress? Didn't know she's your daughter."

Her mother smiled and began chatting with the Director. Joy stood close to her mother as she waited patiently. But truth is, she did not want to waste any of her time here. She doesn't even want to be here; She was forced to be here.

"Then I will leave her in your good hands." Their chat finally ended.
The Director nodded.

"Mum, I don't want to..." Joy pulled her mother's arm, stopping her from leaving. Or rather, she hoped her mother would take her away from here.
"You are a big girl now, what are you afraid of?" Her mother said softly, yet still showing no sign of concern. "You must do well, Joy."
She then walked off without waiting for Joy's reply, leaving her standing there alone.

"Everyone, get into your position! The shooting is about to start!" The crews shouted to get everyone ready.
Joy's eyes darted around as she scanned the whole place. All of the actors and actresses were busy preparing themselves. Some were busy memorizing their scripts while some just sit back and relax. All the chattering continues as they get into position. But there she was, standing right in the middle, not moving an inch.

"That child actress over there, stop dazing and get over here."
Joy turned and realized she was the one being called. She walked over nervously and got into position.

"Episode 3, Scene 15 take 1."
Joy looked at how the other actors and actresses delivered their lines perfectly in front of the camera. Soon, it's her turn.

You must do well. Don't embarrass me.
Joy looked at the cameras and the crews behind it. All eyes were on her, waiting for her impatiently. In her head, her mother's words keep repeating over and over again. She could totally feel the pressure and slowly, nervous found their way to her. She opened her mouth to speak but no words came out.

"Cut!" The Director shouted, annoyed. "That child actress over there, why aren't you speaking? Don't you know it's your turn?"
Joy looked at the director nervously. Beyond her control, a single tear slipped off from her eyes.
The Director stared at her for a while before letting out a sigh. "Let's skip the child actors' parts for now. Continue with scene 17 now."

Joy moved away from the set to let the other actors take over.
"What a waste of time." She heard someone said. Those words were clearly directed to her.

Joy turned and saw a group of child actresses--all around her age-- crowded around and walking off together. Not wanting to face them and get criticized by them in the face, she quickly ran and hide to avoid running into them. Looking around, she spotted a huge pillar and decided to hide behind it and peeked at them.

The three girls crowded in an empty spot. A girl, whom she recognized as the well-known child actress, Jung Minhye, started to speak. "Can't she even act out that simple scene? If she can't act, why is she even here?" 

Joy moved slightly to get a better view while remained hiding behind the pillar. I'm not eavesdropping, she told herself. She is just being curious.

"Didn't you know that she is actually an orphan? But now, her foster parents is none other than the Nation's couple." She heard a bespectacled girl replied.

"You mean that famous model-and-actor couple is her foster parents? No wonder she can be here, she got such strong backing." The third girl joined in. "Even the director is being nice to her. That director is famous for torturing those who ruin the filming and yet he let her off easily today."

"Apparently, I heard that she got casted without even going for the audition," Another child actress chipped in. "Rumours say that she got casted because of her mother's good relationship with the director."

"Foster mother's puppet." Minhye scoffed. "And a crybaby too."

Joy listened as she took in all the hurtful comments. She had realized that they were all talking about her. Her tears rolled down her cheeks as she felt the pain in her heart as if someone has just stabbed her in the heart.

I'm not 'that child actress'! I'm not my mother's puppet!
I have a name, and my name is Joy!

More tears rolled down her cheeks. To avoid being discovered by anyone, she kept her silence while continue shedding tears.

"Stop hiding here and cry. You are wasting everyone's time."
Joy turned and was startled to see a boy. He was wearing casual clothing, hair combed neatly and both hands tucked in his side pockets.

"Leave if you cannot take it." He spoke again before walking away.

 L I K E ・ C O M M E N T  

Last Edited: 01.02.2020