Scroll 39

Changgyeonggung Palace. Year 1693.

Little Choi donned a pretty hanbok instead of her usual sang-gung attire. She stood outside the grand hall for a moment, calming herself down before entering.

Yesterday, the King had told her to prepare herself for today as he will be giving her the concubine status. Acting on Joy's plan, the King and Little Choi had been fooling the Prime Minister all these years. They acted as though the King had done nothing except enjoying her company. They left all the court matters to the Prime Minister while they always spend time openly in the public, laughing and smiling together for the Prime Minister's eyes to see. If necessary, the King will listen to every suggestion from the Prime Minister and stamped his royal seal on any scrolls that the Prime Minister had passed to him.

With all these efforts, this has certainly made the Prime Minister put his guard down. And now, it's time to stab him on the back.

Little Choi brushed her clothes to ensure that they are neat and took a deep breath. Calming her nervous nerves down, she entered the grand hall where all the ministers were shocked to see her. Somehow, seeing her entering like this made them recalled the day the Queen Consort became a concubine. Having a sense of deja-vu, the ministers could immediately guess today's court agenda as they waited for the arrival of the King and the Prime Minister.

"His Majesty has arrived!" A eunuch from outside announced the King's arrival loudly.

They held open the door for him as he walked through with a trail of his attendants. All the other ministers is quick to adjust themselves and lowered their head as he passed by them. From where she is standing, Little Choi also lowered her head and stood in her bowing posture.

The Prime Minister and his two side-kicks walked after the King. They get into their usual position as the King walked up to his throne. He sat down on his throne and took a careful scan of his ministers.

"At ease." He finally said. Everyone regained their standing posture and looked at the King.

"Today, I have an important announcement." The King said, even before the Prime Minister could say anything.

Prime Minister Heo looked at the King from below with slight annoyance. Though he had not spoken a single word, somehow he felt as though the King had interrupted his sentence.

"I hereby make Choi sang-gung as my concubine with the rank of Suk-won."

The hall became silent. Little Choi stood in front of the King and bowed. At the side, Prime Minister Heo looked up at the King as he remained his poker face.

"I knew it." Minister Kim mumbled. Minister Seo kept his silence and fixed his eyes on the floor.

"Everything has been prepared for you. Han sang-gung will personally be your head attendant." The King directed his words at Little Choi. Han sang-gung bowed towards Little Choi from the side of the hall at the mention of her name.

"Han sang-gung?" Minister Kim suddenly voiced out in surprise loudly. "But she is only in charge of the royal female member with the highest rank!"

The King nodded. As far as he could remember, Han sang-gung has indeed only been placed in charge under the most influential female royal member like his mother. "Is there any problem?" He asked.

Minister Kim glanced at Prime Minister Heo. Seeing how he is saying nothing, Minister Kim quickly backed down. "No, Your Majesty."

The rest of the ministers listened to their exchange in silent. Their exchange had made them realised that Choi sang-gung had gained a huge favor from the King. A favor so huge that the King is willing to assign the highest-ranked sang-gung to her. Deep inside them, they quietly anticipated to hear the Queen Consort's disapproval soon. There's no way she will accept this announcement quietly.