Scroll 23

"Yes, Queen Dowager." Joy smiled brightly as she replied Queen Dowager.

Since the break of dawn, Joy had been at the Queen Dowager's quarter for the morning greeting. As usual, Queen Dowager will ask after her well-being and occasionally discussed some internal court issues with her. Sitting in her usual seat -- opposite the Queen Dowager-- Joy smiled at the Queen Dowager. Next to her, the King sat there quietly, giving out an I-don't-want-to-be-here-but-am-forced-to-be-here aura.

"My child, when are you going to change your form of address?" Queen Dowager asked. Her eyes narrowed at Joy, pretending to get offended. She then moved closer to Joy and held her left hand. "Call me Mother. We can only get closer that way." She smiled. Her deep dimples appeared.

Feeling the warmth radiated from Queen Dowager's hand, Joy replied with her best smile. "Mother."

Ever since young, Joy longed for her own (foster) mother to do the same. She longed to have her mother holding her hands and smiling at her brightly, but she never did. Joy had also wondered how it feels like to have a motherly figure looking and holding her like she's the world's most precious treasure. Thanks to the Queen Dowager, she finally knew that feeling.

Queen Dowager nodded, looking very pleased. But contrary to that, the King remained expressionless. 

The Queen Dowager has always taken good care of her ever since she entered the palace, and Joy had always been grateful for that. Seeing Queen Dowager right in front of her, she never understood why those history books described her as someone so malicious and cruel.

"Aren't you cold? You should wear more layers, Mother." Joy asked with concern, noticing the way how Queen Dowager is dressed. She looks paler than usual too.

"Do not worry about me, my child." She smiled. Hearing this reply, Joy did not press on further. She expected the King to say something, but he didn't. Stealing glances at the King, Joy wished that she could help solve the huge misunderstanding between the mother and son. 

The King had once told her to be careful of the Queen Dowager, but Joy never took his words seriously. She felt that the King had a serious misunderstanding of his own mother. If only she knew what really happened...but whenever Joy tried asking the King, he would always find ways to avoid this topic. Same goes for Queen Dowager-- though Joy had never tried asking the Queen Dowager, she knew Queen Dowager will surely avoid the topic as well. It's as though both of them knew they had a serious misunderstanding among themselves but neither of them tried resolving it.

"I still have something else to attend to." The King voiced out, for the first time since the start of the morning greeting. Knowing him inside out, Joy knew he is lying. He is just finding an excuse to leave. Joy bit her lower lips, struggling to control herself. If she could, she would like to kick the King. How could he be so rude? Why must he make up an excuse to get out of here? 

Though knowing that he had always been like this for all the morning greeting, Joy couldn't help but get angry on behalf of the Queen Dowager. However, on the other hand, the Queen Dowager seemed to have gotten used to the cold attitude of her son.

"Alright," Queen Dowager nodded. "You should go too, my child." She looked at Joy, not forgetting to add a warm smile.

The moment Queen Dowager finished her sentence, the King stood up, did a little bow reluctantly and walked out without another word. Joy stood up and did a 90-degree bow. "Have a great day ahead."

Carefully, she walked out of the quarters. Once she exited from the main door, Joy ran towards the King to catch up with him, momentarily ignoring the palace rule of no running in palace ground.