Scroll 08

"Unfortunately, there will be seven of you who will have to return home after today." Queen Dowager continued but Joy's mind is already off somewhere else. 

Don't tell me Sungjae is a King in his previous incarnation?

Joy laughed dryly inside her head. How absurd, she thought.

"Let's start then, shall we?" Queen Dowager smiled, showing her deep dimples once again.
A little nudge from the side startled Joy. It was then did Joy realized that she has missed out whatever Queen Dowager has been saying.

She quickly recollected herself and acted as if nothing happened. Still, she turned to her side and realized it was that prettiest fair lady, who wore the simplest hanbok, that nudged her. Joy wanted to thank her for nudging her and not telling on her but that lady wasn't looking her way so she made a mental note to thank her personally later when she can.

Stop thinking about Sungjae! Whatever it is, your main purpose here is to find ways to get home! Joy thought to herself, constantly reminding herself of her true purpose in entering the palace.
Yet, she can't help herself in looking up to steal glances of the King. Only then did Joy realized that the King has already left without a word.

The competition between the ladies soon begin. From cooking to embroidery to painting, they literally tested on everything that could be tested on. Good thing is, Little Choi expected all these and have made Joy come prepared. As Little Choi has always said since the first day of their training, 'Not only is appearance important; having moral conduct, proper speech and capable of domestic tasks are equally important'. All the training with Little Choi has really paid off which is why so far none of this has stumbled her. Not only that, but she has also already adapted to her new life and certainly acts like a lady from Joseon now.

Before Joy knew it, she had already spent the whole afternoon for the selection.

"For the last test of the day, we will get your divination read." Queen Dowager gathered everyone back and addressed. "A good divination is very important, especially to the future wife of the King since the nation's prosperity will all depend on you."

Upon Queen Dowager's last word, the side door creaked open and a shaman walked in quietly. She stood before Queen Dowager and bowed her head low. Joy watched the shaman's expression. Shamanism. As expected from Queen Dowager who have a strong belief in it.

Just as what Little Choi have predicted, the Queen Dowager will definitely get their divinations.

"Be careful of the shamans. Do not ever reveal anything about where you came from." Joy recalled Little Choi's words during their training. She looked at the shaman and judged her from head to toe. A middle-aged woman who looked young, but the wrinkles on her face betrayed her look.

At the side, the door opened again and in came three palace attendants carrying two chairs and one table. They stationed the tables and chairs properly before the shaman took a seat. All ladies, including Joy, were ordered to line up in a straight row. Those whose turn is up will be asked to take a seat opposite of the shaman to get their divination read.

The air around the Grand Hall soon became dense and still. Silence. Not even a single sound could be heard. Even the Queen Dowager waited by the side of the Grand Hall quietly. She sat on the chair specially reserved for her and took a sip from her cup of tea as she waited for the result.