Scroll 61

"Did you sent the best cook in Joseon to prepare the meal for my Queen?" The moment he declared the end of the court meeting, the King turned to Eunuch Kim.

Eunuch Kim approached the King. "Yes, I did, Your Majesty. As per your request, the cook had prepared the healthiest yet delicious meal for Her Majesty."

The King nodded with satisfaction as he stood up from his throne. Looking forward, he watched the ministers leave the hall one by one. Some of them walked off in pairs while they discussed some court matters on their way out. Most of them had a solemn expression, as though deep in thought. Seems like today's court agenda had them thinking, the King thought. 

"Let's go." The King said to Eunuch Kim. He walked to the side of the hall and slipped out. 

Eunuch Kim signalled to the other attendants before closely following his master. They walked to the double door and stood before it as they wait for the attendants to open it. As the double door slowly creaked open, it revealed Joy standing outside. Joy beamed when she locked eyes with the King. She smiled as she looked at the King's surprised face. Admiring his facial expression, Joy raised her right hand and gave a small wave.

"Aren't we supposed to meet at your quarters?" The King asked. With a smile, he ran up to Joy. 

Earlier, before he leaves for the daily court meeting, they had decided to spend the rest of the day in his Queen's quarters. She promised that she will be waiting for him in her study quarters, hence he totally did not expect his Queen to wait for him outside the grand hall.

"I'm getting bored staying in my quarters all day," Joy pouted. "So, I decided to take a little walk outside and meet you."

"Why? Aren't you happy to see me?" Joy added. "I came to fetch you after work."

"Of course, I am," The King exclaimed. The sides of his mouth keep lifting to form a smile. "Can't you see this big wide smile on my face?" He pointed at himself as he revealed a big smile that revealed his front teeth. 

Joy chuckled. 

"But why are you here alone? Where are all your attendants?"

"I wanted to see you alone. So I left all of them in the Queen's quarters."

The King instantly looked worried. "Your attendants need some scolding from me. How can they leave you and stay in the quarters? You should always have your attendants following you. What if something happened to you?"

"Don't worry, I am old enough to take care of myself." Joy tried to brush this topic under the carpet.

"How can I not worry? What if things happened to you and there's no one to help?" 

Joy stared at the King for a second without saying a word. Since when did he become so naggy? On second thought, maybe he's always this naggy. "I'm going to leave if you are going to nag more." She said.

"Okay, okay. I will stop." The King glanced at Joy to check her expression. "But this should be the last time." He quickly added. 

Joy looked at him. She blinked for a few times in silence. The King stared back at her. "Didn't you said you will stop?" Joy slowly said. The King nodded quickly a few times, with no other choice but to give in to his Queen. He looked as though he had surrendered himself. 

"Come on, let's go cure this boredom of yours," The King said. "Is there anything that you want to do?"