Scroll 41

The leader of the trio instructed the two amateurs to make the fire wilder.

They threw more matches and get more satisfied when they see the fire getting bigger and bigger. Inside the house, Joy and Eunmin struggled to keep their consciousness as the smokes get thicker. They could feel the temperature of the house rising rapidly as the fire burn the house down.

The wooden structures begin to collapse. Parts of the ceiling begins to fall, nearly on Joy. Books and papers caught fire and begin to burn to ashes. The tall cabinet in the sleeping room fell, hitting the floor with a loud boom.

Joy looked around, desperately looking for place to escape as they dodged the falling objects. Sweats broke out as the fire heated them up. They are literally getting roasted!

Eunmin coughed loudly as the smokes choked her up despite a wet cloth covering her mouth. Due to the rising temperature, even the wet cloth is not wet anymore.

"Eunmin!" Joy noticed Eunmin's eyelid closing. She violently shakes Eunmin to prevent her from losing consciousness. Quickly taking off her still-damped cloth, Joy wrapped it around Eunmin's mouth.

Joy tried to control her breathing to minimise the intake of the thick smoke. Still, immediately feeling the thick smokes consuming her, Joy begin to cough. She struggled to breathe normally. She instantly felt dizzy and weak. Eunmin noticed it and tried to hold onto Joy, but she was too weak to move.

Joy watched the door with her slowly-turning-blurry vision. She sincerely prayed that someone will rescue them. She does not want her life in Joseon to end this way.

She has yet to bring the Prime Minister and Minkyung down. There's no way she can leave the world like this. There's no way she can leave the King alone in the scary palace. There's no way and she does not want to. Yes, she had always wanted to leave Joseon and go back to her world. But not like this. Not this way.

As though her prayers had been heard, someone broke the lock from outside and opened the door.

Through Joy's blurry vision, she could only make out that it is a man. No, actually two men emerged from the door. One of them called out to her desperately. She immediately recognised the voice calling her.

The King dodged the falling objects and rush to Joy's side the moment he found her. Thankfully, no objects had fallen on her, and he is able to get her quickly. Gesturing to the other man to help Eunmin, the King quickly carried Joy out of the hanok, while the other man supported Eunmin out.

The two men quickly ran out of the house, dodging any objects that had caught fire in their path out. Once they are out, Eunuch Kim passed out two damped cloths for Joy and Eunmin before he went to the other man and helped support Eunmin to safety.

"Inhyeon, are you alright?" Joy heard the King asked. She gave a little nod.

She could immediately felt the cool air once they are out of the house. Contrast to the hot hanok, the air outside is hundred times cooler.

Joy asked the King to let her down softly. Letting out a few coughs, she felt better. Still, her body is too weak that her legs are still not able to withstand her body weight. Because of this, Joy held onto the King's arm for support.