Scroll 10

Closing the door behind her gently, Joy looked around the quarter and sighed.
I'm still stuck in Joseon. 

She looked at Jiyeon. Seeing how she was still in deep sleep, she assumed that Minkyung were probably doing the same. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her wrist. It was dark and so, Joy couldn't exactly make out who it was but she knew that the gentle touch belonged to a familiar lady. Before she knew it, she was being dragged outside.

"What are you doing?" She asked Joy. It's Minkyung. Joy kept her eyes on the ground as she tried to think up an excuse. At the same time, she is trying to avoid the eyes of her friend.

"Where did you go?" Minkyung confronted.

"Taking a little walk around since I couldn't sleep." Joy lied softly. She really does not wish to lie to her only friend that she has in the palace but sometimes, it's hard to tell the truth. Joy could only console herself by repeating in her mind that she is telling a white lie. Deep down, she also doesn't want to talk much about it. Whatever it is, what's the use of telling Minkyung about that quarter being a portal when in the first place, it's not? All this time she has been wrong and the ways to return back to her world remained as the biggest question. Suddenly, she felt hopeless. It was as if her life has become very meaningless.

"I know you are hiding something," Minkyung said firmly. "What is it?"

Joy kept silence. She could felt Minkyung's intense stare as she awaits the truth, and that stare is making Joy guilty of keeping a secret. But how is she going to tell Minkyung that she was finding a quarter, which she used to believe is the portal that could transport her back to her world. Telling all these will only let the cat out of the bag. It will be an indirect way of saying that she is not from Joseon. Minkyung is her only friend in the palace but still, Joy is not sure if she is able to trust her with such absurd and ridiculous truth. Even if she were to tell, Minkyung will only see her as a crazy person.

"Are you meeting some trouble?" Minkyung asked after the long silence.

"No." Joy replied. In her mind, she is still fighting with the option of telling Minkyung about the truth, or not. She looked at the big worried eyes of Minkyung and decided not. "I couldn't sleep so I was out taking some fresh air. Looking at how Jiyeon and you were in deep sleep, I chose not to wake you guys up." She forced a smile, putting her acting skills into good use, in hope that Minkyung would be convinced.

Minkyung stared at her with her big eyes, examining her as if she was trying to detect any lies. But it didn't take long for the look of suspicion to disappear. "Let's faster go in and sleep. You do know that we will be punished if we get caught, right?"

Joy nodded as she was once again reminded of the palace rules that were set for the Queen-to-be candidates. Minkyung pushed open the door. Just as she was about to step in, Joy called out to her, stopping her. "Just so you know, I didn't enter the palace in the same purpose as you did. So, if I were to choose, I would be delighted to have you as the Queen. And I believed you will, the position of the Queen will definitely be yours."

"What are you saying? I shouldn't even think of becoming the Queen." Minkyung said humbly but still, she couldn't hide her smile. "Faster get in and have some sleep."

Joy smiled as Minkyung return back to the room first. It's true, she really does hope that Minkyung will the Queen and without any doubt, she will surely be a good one. But inside her, she can't help worrying about her future-- if she does have one. She wondered if there is any other way to go back to her world.

**********

The next day, there is another invitation from the Queen Dowager. They were to meet her at the Royal Garden pavilion again. Afraid of being later than the Queen Dowager, all three of them reached the Royal Garden early. They waited for Queen Dowager at a pavilion patiently.

"Do you think she will let us wait for a long time and not appear again?" Jiyeon asked Joy but she just replied with a shrug.

"Queen Dowager is here!" A court attendant announced out loud. They quickly stood up and bowed, in wait for the Queen Dowager to settle herself down.

"At ease." She finally said and proceed to examine the girls carefully. Joy noticed that the usual cheerful expression of the Queen Dowager was being replaced by a stern look. This reminded her of the science teacher she used to have, back when she was still an ordinary girl with no fame to herself.

The Queen Dowager signalled to the head sang-gung. Catching on to the signal that was sent to her, the head sang-gung start her speech. "Yesterday, two girls were spotted outside their room in late hours. They have violated one of the palace rules set for the candidates and therefore, should receive their punishment."

Joy felt a slight tug from Minkyung, who is standing closely next to her. On the other hand, she also felt the eyes of head sang-gung and Queen Dowager on her. Joy realized that the Queen Dowager already knew that she was the one who violated the rules and is waiting for her to confess.

Joy took a silent deep breath as she started to move. This time, she felt an even greater tug from Minkyung. Joy turned to face her, seeing the expression of her dear friend. "Don't." Minkyung whispered as she shook her head slightly.

Great, now I'm in the middle of deciding whether to confess or not. What a perfect situation I am in. Joy thought to herself sarcastically. However, deep down Joy knew what Minkyung is fearing--the punishment, or rather, torture. But still...

"The chance of giving them to identify themselves is up," The Queen Dowager spoked. "Seems like we need to--"
"I'm the one." Joy interrupted and confessed. Instantly, all eyes were on her. She is used to being the centre of attention thanks to her experience as an actress but this is a different story. Being put into the limelight for committing a crime is not something that she would enjoy.

"I am the only one who was out after the curfew hours," Joy said. "I am really sorry for disobeying the rules." She apologized and bowed sincerely to the Queen Dowager.

After a long silence, the Queen Dowager finally spoked again.

"Very well. Since you have confessed and seemed to be reflecting greatly, I will let this matter slide. But as for the other girl," she turned to look the Minkyung. "You shall be dismissed with immediate effect."

Minkyung widens her eyes and opens her mouth, but no words came out to defend herself.

"But this is not her fault. It is mine!" Joy said while panicking, unknowingly raising her voice. "Please take back your orders, Your Royal Highness. And please punish only me."

"Enough said! How insolent and bold you are! The orders that I have given have never been taken back before and this principle applies here too." The Queen Dowager looked at her in the eyes. Joy quickly dropped her eyes and reflect on what she has done. Facing the almighty royalty made her feel small.

"Dismissed!" The Queen Dowager said before she leaves.

Joy turned to look at Minkyung, feeling a little guilty and sorry to her. After all, this was all her fault. However, the eyes of Minkyung looking back at her is no longer the same as before. Through the teary eyes, it hinted betrayals.

L I K E ・ C O M M E N T

Last Edited: 01.05.2020