Scroll 20

"What did you prepared for him?" 

"Something unique." Joy replied proudly. She is pleased with the idea that she came out with. Joy planned to make a western-style birthday cake for the King. She believed that the King had never eaten western style birthday cake before since it is not a norm to have during Joseon times. But as a twenty-first-century person, it is common to have a western-style birthday cake during a birthday celebration. Hence, her present to the King shall be cream cake!

She learnt from a palace attendant that all the ingredients that she needs could easily be found in the Royal Kitchen. So, she is now making her way to the Royal Kitchen. On her way there, she walked past the King's quarters. Coincidentally, the King stepped out. But the moment they exchanged eye contact, the King quickly ran back into his quarters again.

"Your Majesty." Eunuch Kim greeted Joy. Seeing how she keeps looking in the direction of where the King just stood, Eunuch Kim quickly added. "His Majesty has left something in his quarters hence he ran back in to take it."

Lies! She knew he is avoiding her. Ever since that day, he has been avoiding for god knows the reason. Does he know the meaning of embarrassment now? Is that why he has been avoiding me? Still, Joy gave Eunuch Kim a slight smile before continuing her way to the Royal Kitchen.

"Did she left?" The King came out once he saw Joy had walked away. "What did you say to her?"

"I told her that Your Majesty is avoiding her because he is embarrassed for whatever reason." Eunuch Kim teased his master. Seeing how his master's ears have turned red, he asked, "Did something happened between Your Majesty and the Queen?"

Instead of getting a reply to his question, Eunuch Kim got a deathly glare and a knock on his head. "HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT TO HER?!" The King exclaimed like a little kid. 

"But it's the truth..." Eunuch Kim murmured.

"Say another word and I will bury you alive." Despite knowing that his master's bark is worse than his bite, Eunuch Kim kept quiet as per instructed.

Little Choi glanced at Joy. There is one question that she has been dying to ask, but she hesitated. Joy caught her looking. From her look, she knew Little Choi have got some questions to ask her but is holding back hence, all the questions are currently stuck in her throat. Bottling up feeling is bad for health, so she sighed and says "What is it that you want to ask?"

"I noticed that the King has been avoiding you recently, what happened?" 

Joy shrugged her shoulders. She genuinely has no idea why, and she wants to know the reason herself too. Since she lacks dating experience, she has no idea what this situation is. Is this called hard to get? She did read about it in some novels before...

Though she doesn't understand the meaning of the action that Joy replied with, Little Choi guessed from Joy's face that that meant 'No idea'.

"Did you fought with His Majesty?" Little Choi asked daringly. Joy shooked her head. As far as she can remember, she didn't fight with him.

"Maybe things will get better when you present him with his birthday present." Little Choi said. "Now that reminds me, what are you going to do for him again?"

"Birthday cake."

"Rice cake?"

Joy shook her head as she wondered how Little Choi linked birthday cake to rice cake. They clearly are two separate things.