Chapter 6

2am had already rolled around and I still couldn't sleep.

My eyes were as wide as day. They haven't narrowed an inch in spite being in the dark for almost an hour and a half now. I've been staring at my bedroom's ceiling, couldn't help but recall the news about Mr. Beaumont.

I found it scary why it bothered me so much. Especially knowing that none of these were really my fault. I knew that I was not to blame. It was his. It was his fault that I said those things.

There was no reason for me to even consider taking those back. There was no reason for me to feel guilty about it.

But yet...why am I feeling this way?

Why can't I remove that blank expression he displayed. The way his eyes were completely empty as they looked at me.

What were you feeling at that time that made you wanna quit? Did I really hurt you with my words?

The possibility tightened my chest.

Honestly, they were immature words that came from a 16 year old. Was it really possible that a grown man like him would be wounded by them? It's stupid to think that you took them seriously.

I know that I hated you, and that I wanted to change teachers...

But to actually make it happen out of nowhere. Anyone would be shocked.

Did I really went too far with my words? That you really considered to resign from being my teacher?

What...were you feeling at that time?

------

School time caught up quickly before I had the chance to recover from my thoughts of Mr.Beaumont. Apparently they were still as fresh as I woke up from this morning. They stuck with me till I got to school and Kim eventually catching up. Before I knew it I found myself discussing the whole thing with her. I guess that's just how best friends work. 

"He actually resigned?" She said.

"Yeah." I answered, not wanting my voice to come out concern. But I guess I failed, cu'z I found myself biting my lower lip like it was something that I just couldn't accept.

"You idiot!" Kim exclaimed. "I told you to talk to him."

"I never agreed that, didn't I?" I scowled. "And if he wants to quit, then quit. I don't care. He's a grown man, he can do whatever he wants."

Painfully, the words got stuck in my throat like rotten food got clogged in a sink. It felt awkward but I stuck with it.

"Yeah, but the things you said, Penny."

"What, don't tell me you're going side with him. You know what I said were true." The bitterness in my voice was so damn obvious that I actually felt embarrassed by it. "And if a 23 year old man can't handle those criticisms from a 16 year old kid then hell he's one weak son of a bitch."

"Yeah but---OUCH!"

Kim held her head like it was about to fall. He groaned painfully as the sound of a soccer ball echoed in the halls.

Ooh, that's gotta hurt.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked concernly, placing my hand on top on head. Kim was too busy cussing to hear the nearing footsteps coming towards us. Behind her was the jocks of Belleflower. Idiots.