Chapter 18

I've been leaning beside Shay's bed for about thirty minutes now and I can honestly say; I have done nothing but watch Shay yap his mouth uncontrollably. I watched him pitifully for minutes and minutes and quite frankly; I'm amazed how he hasn't ran out of things to say yet.

Subject after subject. It's amusing, really.

I thought; was I this dumb looking when I was drunk before?

"So that's how I hooked up with Sam's cousin," Shay proudly beamed. "It was radical!"

I nodded, letting him know that despite his useless conversations, I was still listening quite attentively. Not that it interested me or anything, I just find it fasinating to look at Shay talk. His freckled nose would wiggle at every finished sentence and his cheeks would turn redder and redder as he smiled.

I like to hear him hiccup; it made me feel supreme. Like, how I'm the in-the-right-condition, and the responsible one.

But hey, even if he was sober, I would still be the absolute resposible one, right? Yep. No doubt about that.

"Hey." Shay's smile was slowly falling. "You haven't talk in a while, have you?"

More like I haven't talked at all...

I scratched the back of my neck as I searched for a reply to an obviously drunk person. "Well, I'm more of the listener than the talker, Shay."

Shay puffed adorably in respond, slapping the air between us while trying to maintain his balance. "Don't worry, you can talk. Come on, talk to me. I'm you're friend. Bring it here, babe, bring it here."

I raised my brow at him, wondering what to do now. "No thanks." I said.

Shay pouted. "Come on, Penny! You can tell me anything. Really, just name it. Tell Shay all your little secrets."

I winced at the thought. I turned my head to my left, not wanting to look at his childish expression while looking at me. "Oh, Shay." I slightly shook my head.

"Oh, Penny." He mimicked me. "Come on, we're friends aren't we? Talk to me. I mean, you can even tell me if you masturbate. I wouldn't judge. Heck, I even--"

"Shay!" I hopelessly exclaimed, rubbing three of my fingers agaisnt my forehead. I can't believe how open he is towards me.

"What?" He grabbed another bottle of beer at his side. "I told you, didn't I? Tell me all your secrets! Come on, mate, that's what friends do, right?"

Briefly, I closed my eyes and thought; how did I ended up in this situation? I sat quietly, listening to Shay yap about friendship stuff and how we should be open to one another.

In my opinion, he was giving me an indirect lecture.

I tsked. Wow, who would have thought Mr. Popular was this lonely...

"Shay," I said slowly. "maybe its about time to rest."

Shay is already looking half asleep, and I probably watched him sway back and forth for about a minute now. The last remaining bottle is already half empty,  but I doubt he could finish it before puking first.

Shay carefully shook his head. "But we haven't talk yet."

I leaned forward to reach for the bottle in his hand. "We could talk tomorrow." I said. "Just give the beer here, Shay."

He stubbornly leaned back. "Not until we talk,"

"We are talking." I pointed out. "But now, it's time to rest. Come on, let me help you get into bed. I'll sleep on the floor and--wait. Wait, let me change that-- I'll sleep on the couch."