Chapter 31

The nurse massaged my jaw and it helped the joints to loosen up from the shocking impact. I have a black eye on my right eye and the nurse gave me a bag of peas for it.

The room was quiet with Cole and Kim inside. Shay and the other jocks were sent to the principal office and a student came in not to long ago to inform that after I was good Mrs. Tremblay would like to see me too.

I stared at the floor, contemplating on why I thought of Kalvin on such a particular time. My stomach clenched whenever I had to remember his face and how I craved his comfort. I tried so many times to stop but it kept coming back.

My heart couldn't take the aching pain.

"I'm okay, guys." I said, looking up at Kim and Cole. "Really."

"When your mom sees this you're gonna be so dead." Kim said.

I winced in discomfort. The idea was much scarier than any principal a school could own.

It took a second before I was able to shake the nervousness away, and I finally made up the nerve to look at Cole. He was standing behind the nurse's drawers, both hands in his pockets, staring at my condition.

"You..." I spoke. "Didn't have to do it."

"If I didn't then who would have?" He questioned with a cold tone in his voice. "I noticed that there wasn't anyone going forth to help you, and Lloyd was no where to be found. What would you have expected me to do?"

He had a point. Still, I blushed how I remembered him carrying me. How embarrassing.

"Thanks." I quietly said, averting my eye contact with him.

The door swang open and all three of us jumped in surprise. It was Skyler, looking nothing but worried. He was slightly catching his breath, making it obvious how he hurried himself to get here. He had wide eyes and as soon as we caught each other's eyes, held his breath and was obviously taken a back.

"What the fuck did you do?" He said as he narrowed his eyes. He walked up to me and took a good look at my condition. "Of all the things I expected from you—I mean, I knew you were capable but I never thought you'd actually get a black eye."

I stared at my brother, surprised how he used a bad word on me. It wasn't common for him to do so, Skyler had always been the composed one.

"Don't act like you're the eldest here." I said. "And how'd you know?"

"Mica told me."

My eyes grew wide as I heard the name. "Mica? You know each other?"

"I go to the Building B's student council sometimes for special reasons. Mica's by far the most tolerable one to talk to."

"So you guys are friends?"

"We talk. That's all I can say." He said with authority. "Mom's gonna freak."

"Why are you here?" I asked in annoyance, seeing how he wasn't helping at all. "Don't you have classes?"

I expected him to roll his eyes,  because though he was so composed at his age, I was expected him to be annoyed at me even a bit. But of course, he just had to have the upper hand. His gaze remained as he said; "Some classes are worth skipping just to see how you're stupid sister is doing."

And then—there was silence.

I stared at my brother feeling completely embarrassed all of the sudden. Oh my god he did not just say that.