Chapter 33

Lloyd and I haven't spoken to each other since last night. He didn't even try to approach me this morning nor did he react when Shay and I were talking not too long ago.

It was lunch time and Kim and I were eating on our casual table. Some eyes still couldn't be helped but glance at us but Lloyd seemed to have it easy since he hasn't tried to look at us once. He was at the other side of the cafeteria with his guy friends.

I wasn't annoyed but I felt bothered. I wonder what had gotten into him? But same goes for me; what has gotten into me? It wasn't like I was avoiding him too, but I couldn't bring myself to act normal especially when I know that something was definitely wrong.

Shay sat with us with his tray not soon after.

"You guys broke up?" He asked, but you couldn't tell whether he actually cared or not.

"With who?" I squinted my eyes at him.

"Who else? That dork you always hang out with."

"He's not my boyfriend. He's my best friend."

"Fuck that. I'm your new best friend."

"As if." Kim cut in. "That was the most childish remark I have ever heard."

"Whatever." Shay took a bite of his burger. "I see your black eye hasn't healed yet."

"Apparently." I lazily replied. "Sorry about your suspicion on football."

Shay shrugged. "No big deal. I wanted to take a break anyway. Besides, it was my fault at the least."

I looked at him and rewinded the words he spoke. Did he actually...

"Your fault?"

"Yeah. I mean, if it wasn't for me Benj and the guys wouldn't have approached in the first place. Plus, I wasn't able to stop the situation and if only I had been more tactful, than I wouldn't have let that ball hit you."

I looked into Shay's eyes and couldn't believe how genuine he was. Seeing Shay's constant development never failed to surprise me. He was getting better and better at being human.

"I'm sorry." He said.

I couldn't help but smile and let joy wrap around my body. "It's cool."

After talking to Shay for a minute or so his attention moved to Kim and started flirting with her. I watched as Kim tried to play along and found it funny. She hasn't been active with boys lately, which really caught my attention. The last time she had been with one was probably a month ago. Something changed in her. I don't know why but she's been keeping herself busy with other things other than boys.

I looked at her pleasingly, and I noticed improvements with her mood and smile. Somehow they seemed more real rather than just an act. It felt nice seeing her like this, it makes me feel safe and secure.

Oddly, my eyes moved on their own and landed on Lloyd. He was laughing with his friends when a girl suddenly approached him. She wore a denim jacket and a really short pencil skirt. She was pretty and obviously she was into him. They're talking and eventually Lloyd stood up and walked away with her.

Somehow the scene bothered me that he can play hooky with some other girl while he couldn't even look at me nor Kim. A part of me felt disappointed as a friend.

"Hey, I gotta head to the washroom." I announced.

"Oh, sure." Kim replied. I stood up and walked my way out of the cafeteria. I wasn't planning on going to the cafeteria's restroom, but rather, I wanted to take the one from the fields. It was kinda far but I think I needed it so I can have a little air and me time. I needed to think for a bit.