Chapter 34

Mica's house was double than what I imagined. I've actually come across it a couple of times in the past but I never thought I'd meet the people who owned it, let along befriend their daughter. It was the biggest house in their neighborhood; they even own a fountain in their yard.

We drove past their gate and the driver dropped us off in front of their front door.

"Jesus." I finally spat. Mica's freakin wealthy.

"It's...a bit much." She said bashfully.

"Are you kidding? A bit much is wayyy better than a bit less."

Mica smiled and so did Mary who was carrying both our groceries.

"Let's head inside now, shall we?" Mary announced as she led the way. We followed.

Once we came inside the fabulous scent immediately greeted me. It smelled of fresh lemons and expensive furnitures. The floor was clear marble and the long miraculous stairs was the first thing you'd see once you entered. 

"Dinner would be ready in a bit. Let's head into my room while we wait." said Mica. Just when we were about to take a step, someone called Mica.

A wrinkled old women was marching angerly at us. Her frown made her more wrinkled than she already was, but although her face was obviously showed aging, her hair was beautiful. Her hair was let down and you could easily tell how silky and soft it was. She wore small pearls around her neck and ears and her white dress was so clean you'd think they were just newly bought.

"Micaella!" She called again as she got to us. "Where were you?! We were all worried sick."

"I'm sorry, mother." Mica replied, bowing her head apologetically. "I...went to buy groceries."

"Why? Did you think we were running out of supplies? You could have just told us."

"That really wasn't the main--"

"Then what is it?" She snapped, crossing both her arms together. "Honestly, Michaella, what has gotten into you lately? First you refused to let Albert drive you home from school, then refused to wear your designer clothes, and now you're going grocery shopping? What life are you trying to mold? Are you trying to prove something? Trying to pretend something you're not?"

"I just want a low profile, mother. These things aren't normal in Belleflower. I'm not fond of the attention."

"What are you talking about? How is it your fault that your parents can provide you with these things? You need to wake up, Michaella, and stop acting like you're one of them." Mica's mom was mid-way shouting.  "It's one thing to want to blend in and experience new things but denying what you are and denying all these privileges that most people strive to have is another."

Then, Mica's mom eyes shot at me. She glared and was not pleased as she scanned me from head to toe.

"Who is this?" She questioned.

"Mother, this is Penny Ray. A friend of mine."

She stared at me again before speaking. "This is the first time you ever brought a friend over."

"Yes, mother."

"What are you wearing?"

I was taken a back by her question. And then I remembered what I was wearing; my brothers Doctor Who t-shirt and some old baggy pants. My denim jacket didn't help, they were worn out and I was also wearing Skyler's old flip flops. I looked like a complete homeless person.

"Oh, these aren't...these are nothing. I didn't expect to...come by your house, Mrs. Tandergail. If I did, then I would've worn something more appropriate."