CHAPTER 10

When I got to school I found Liam at his locker. "Hey" he says kissing my forehead.

"Hey"

"Did you hear the news?"

"No"

"Well we made like over $3000"

"Sweet, I guess it was worth it" I shake my head. "Of course it was worth it" He goes a bit red. It's so cute when he blushes.

"Hey Emily meet me at the beach tonight got to go catch you later" And he's gone like usual doesn't give me time to answer.

"Maybe he's going to propose" Mik mocks.

"Wow hold your horses" Eleyna says. She shrugs "Just go and you'll see"

"Ok but if it's something you two are up to I'm going to get to the bottom of this" The bell rings and we split off to class. Today went so slow it felt like I was stuck in some never ending hamster wheel. But I'm finally home. I finish the rest of my English assignment and hop into the shower. "Now what to wear". I pick out a pair of skinny jeans and a top Mikayla curls my hair for god knows why.

"Beautiful now go and I'll stay with cat"

"Ok thanks Mik"

"All good bye"

When I get to the beach I see Liam playing guitar. I didn't know he played. I go and sit next to him whilst he plays. I start to sing the song I wrote the night of the fundraiser. We finish the song and I stare into the ocean smiling. "Emily" I face him.

"Yes Liam"

"Emily May Rebone will you be my date to prom?"

"Liam Noah Adams, I'd love to be your date" He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me close as we hug. We lay there, him playing guitar and I singing. That's when his phone starts ringing He answers it and then hangs up. "Sorry I've got to go,dad has put Cooper into bed and has to pick up grandpa from the airport but Emily; where is your mother?" The question I've been dreading. "No one's noticed that your mother has vanished because they know your father has died and Mikayla has been at your house almost every day driving cat to and from school thinking it's your mum. And no one's asked about your mother?"

"It's only been a month." We go silent. "She'll be back"

"When Emily? Why did she leave?"

"Look my neighbours know and they've been looking out for me and so has Mikayla and her mum Mariah she's like my aunty we're so close, but ask if she's still close to mum and the answer will be a flat no. before dad died we were a picture perfect family then the next day he was gone and we were split into pieces. She was sad and depressed every day she never left the house or even picked us up from school and then one day she said and I quote 'I'm leaving. Need space, need time to get on track' gave us a hug that felt like a sloth that didn't want to be woken up and gone. She drove off in dad's car and haven't heard from her since even on Cats birthday she didn't call or anything" I shrug "It's only been a month and mum was nothing without dad it doesn't matter anyways she treated us like dirt so It hasn't affected us yet. Cat doesn't care as much because she and I always went fishing with dad while mum stayed in the house cleaning. And then we'd be the ones cleaning she didn't care about anything, school plays, school interviews, sports, friends or not even university she simply hated us kids. Dad kept her head held high in hard situations from work but now he's gone the anxiety got to her and now she's gone" This knife Liam holds is the biggest of them all. He just looks at me. "you better go to cooper" I say standing.

"Yeah. Emily I love you. You taking care of Cat and doing exams and standing up to Brit that takes guts and that's what I love about you" He kisses me and then he's gone.