CHAPTER 11 The match

Today's the day. Liam's footy grand finale. I've been to the semi-final where he got hit in the nose but wouldn't stop playing. And that's what I love-his courage and resilience to keep going even when he's hurt. The whistle blows for the first half and this is why I really hate football the sight of such young men knocking each other over and tackling each other. We are 12 points in front and have had 2 penalties. the whistle blows for half time. What a nail biting game the boys were getting annoyed by the dirty players on the opponent's team but they had to keep playing fairly you gotta do what you gotta do. As Liam is walking to the tunnel the opponents coach pulls him back by the collar of his shirt and starts yelling at him and that's when a player comes over and throws a punch at Liam and of course without a doubt a fight takes place. Liam is so protective for his team mates its kind of cute but he can't keep getting himself into fights. He's the star of the team which puts him in a harder position to ignore the opponent's bad behaviour. Liam's coach comes and breaks the boys apart and yells at Liam I guess he's not impressed. Liam hasn't been himself lately the pressure of winning gets to him. He HAS to win, well that's what he tells himself. I see Liam leaving the field and I run down to meet him "Liam" I call out. "You're hurt?" I ask grabbing his hand he turns and looks at me rage filling his eyes.

LIAMS POINT OF VIEW

"EMILY!!Just stop okay my football is my business my life is my business and yes I'm hurt I got bashed and kicked off the team until I show that I can show 'sportsman ship' and as far as I know you can't help me so just leave me alone ok Emily go annoy others and stay out of this" Damn it I've hurt her once again my emotions got the better of me but what can I do I watch her walk away tears running down her face. I grab her hand and she just pulls away.