CHAPTER 24

When I get home I race inside to see cat on the longue. "Mariah what happened?"
"She slipped getting out of the bath. It just looks like a fracture she should be fine"

"Thank you so much"

"Emily, what are you going to do with this house the front door is literally falling off"

"I don't know we can't sell or we'll be forced to live on the streets" Mariah gives me 'are you dumb' face.

"You can stay in our spare room. Dereck won't be coming home from the army any time soon"

"'I'm sorry"
"Its fine we'll put the house up for inspection and see how much we can get for it, and because your alone you'll probably get more" She winks. I smile until she's gone into the kitchen. I turn to Cat.
"one I can't believe you fractured your ankle and two why were HOME ALONE?" I say my hands on my hips. "Well I was at work and..." She stops and her eyes widen like she's murdered someone.

"What job?" I say tilting my head. "Cat! Tell me"

"OK, ok well we kind of don't have enough money to keep this house standing so I got a job at the café. You're always studying working or at Liam's- "
"No I'm not" I protest.

"Emily when was the last time we had a shopping day?"

"Since mum was here" I say feeling guilty.

"See we just don't have the money. I think that we should both keep our jobs and once we sell this house maybe you can quit and focus on university"
"Hopefully" I smile and hug Cat she's so annoying but she's just so smart and hopeful.