Chapter Twenty Eight: Maia

I tugged the small yarn ball out from Andy's grip. He rolled onto his stomach, trying to reach the orange yarn. I giggled a little as I held it out of reach.

Just as he released a loud meow, my doorbell rang. I looked off towards the door as it rang again. I wasn't expecting anyone, maybe it was Dan or Eloise.

I picked up Andy and left the yarn ball on the bed. Andy curled into my side as I walked towards the door.

When I swung it open, total shock filled my body. Amelie was standing there. Of all people, Amelie was here, at my door. The girl with the ginger locks and dark eyes looked back at me.

"Hi, Maia," she sighed, "I'm sorry to pop by unexpectedly, but I really need someone to talk to."

Andy and I both stared at her for a moment. I stepped to the side, letting her through. She entered, thanking me. I shut the door, and turned, gesturing for her to sit on the couch.

She did, sitting on the black couch, staring at the wall. I put Andy down and went to make a pot of tea. When I returned, she gratefully took a cup.

I grabbed my pad and wrote, What's up?

She read it and sighed, "I don't know, I'm confused. I just don't know what to do."

She slowly sipped her tea.

"It's about Chris. I don't know if I trust him. I like him, sure, I have to, he's my flatmate. But, I have a hard time trusting people. My life has been, hard, and trust has not been a good thing. I don't know, I'm lost."

I patted her shoulder. She looked lost. Her eyes had that look of someone who was frantically looking for a way out. I grabbed my pad and scribbled a few words down.

He likes you, a lot. I don't think he would hurt you in any way. What makes you not trust him?

She read it and sighed, "I don't know, that's the problem! I think I somewhat trust him, but not entirely. What if I actually like him back!?" she put her head in her hands.

"I just don't know what to do."

I watched her go through her confliction. She liked him, that much was true. I could promise that he liked her back. She was just lost, confused, and scared. Honestly, I don't think anyone can get her out of that, anyone except herself.

I scribbled down what I wanted to say, My Aunt used to say 'Follow your intuition, not your heart. The heart is stupid.' What does your intuition tell you?

She read it and smiled, "I guess, I guess it says to see if Chris grows on me. Maybe get to know him a bit more."

I smiled and nodded, that was a great option. Amelie smiled, and then surprised me by giving me a big hug. I hugged back.

"Thank you," she sighed, "You're a great friend."

When we pulled apart, I grinned at her. She was a great friend as well. True, I had only known her for awhile, but it felt much longer.

We sat for another hour, talking about various things. It seemed to help her just to talk about things other than her confliction. I was proud to be of help. When she had to leave, I like to think she left knowing she had another friend. Someone she could trust.