Chapter Forty Three: Amelie

"Here. I got you something." Chris stated, stepping into my bedroom. He threw something at my bed and smiled at me. A small velvet box laid in the mess of my blankets. "Go on. Picked it up this morning."

I leaned over and picked it up. I looked up at Chris and cocked my head. He nodded at me and smiled brightly. "Go on." I flipped it open and inside was a small ring with a small diamond on it.

"Chris, you didn't have to get a ring." I looked at him then the small ring. "No, really, you didn't have to." I shook my head. Chris sat on the bed next to me and took the ring box from me. "What are you doing? Seriously?" I looked at him and shook my head in disbelief. "Stop."

"Come on." He smiled, pulling the ring out of the box and then took my hand. "I mean, we are engaged. Why wouldn't I get you a ring?" He asked, sliding the ring on to my hand. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"I'm having coffee with Howl, Maia, and Eloise in a bit." I stated, looking at him. "I'm gonna tell them. Have you told Phil, Pj, and Dan yet?" I then asked. I played with the bedding. Chris shrugged.

"Not yet."

"You should tell them. I mean, they are your best friends." I looked at Chris. "You don't have to tell them. I'm sure my friends will tell yours. Considering they're all dating each other." I let out a slight chuckle.

"I'll tell 'em eventually." Chris nodded.

{***}

I pulled my chair closer to the table and wrapped my hands around the mug of hot coffee. The ring Chris had given me this morning was still on my hand. I mean, of course I was wearing it.

"I'm getting married." I said mostly to myself. I looked at the ring and let out a long breath of air. I'm getting married. What's the worst thing that could happen? We get married and... I don't know what could happen/ I suppose the worst thing that could happen is Chris cheating on me... Or being abusive. He doesn't seem like that kind of person. Or, we end up getting pregnant and other things happen.

"Hey you," A voice said, approaching the table. I looked up and saw Eloise with Maia.

"Hi." I smiled nervously, wrapping my hands around my mug again. The both sat across from me, Eloise had a loving smile on her lips. Maia had her face in a settling way.

"What's up?"

"Howl should be here soon." I nodded, taking my hands off the mug and folded my hands in my lap. Moments later Howl showed up.

"Hell- Oh." She stated, looking at me then Maia.

"I need to tell you guys something." I nodded, looking at her. She sat next to me and kept her gaze at me, she wore a loving smile too.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, well, you know how I had that issue with Chris?" I asked, looking at my coffee cup.

"You mean, how he proposed and you ran away?" Howl asked, looking at me.

"Okay, Howl, You would run away too if Jackson proposed to you after a week of dating." I scowled. She looked away meekly. "Exactly." I stated.

"Anyways..." Eloise looked at me.

"Well, uh, we're getting married." I looked down and at my hands. "We don't have everything set... But, we're getting married." I nodded, looking at my friends. Each of them had rather expressive faces. "I wasn't really sure what to say or... Yeah, I'm getting married." I nodded and put a fake smile on my lips. "And, I suppose Chris is getting married too." I looked at the table

When? Maia slid a piece of paper over to me.

"We haven't decided yet." I nodded. I lifted up my mug and took a sip of my coffee.

"Do you have a ring?" Eloise asked. I gave her my left hand. She took it and smiled. "Can't wait."

"I mean... Do wait. We're probably going to just go to a court house and get married there. We don't need some big elaborate thing. My side of the church would be empty whilst Chris' side would be filled with friends and family." I explained.

"Don't say that." Howl remarked.

"Howl, I have no family. I haven't talked to my dad in years. I don't know if he's alive. My mother is married and has her own family. I have no one." I looked at her. "I just... I've never had someone that loves me before. And, the fact Chris loves me enough to propose only after a month of knowing me, that means something. I don't want that something to go away or disappear." I looked at my mug of coffee.

Maia scribbled something onto her notepad. It won't. I'm sure of it. She smiled at me.

"Thanks, Maia."