Chapter Fifty Two: Maia

Everything is so perfectly perfect in every way imaginable. I can't imagine what could possibly ruin this perfectness. Everything was just so, perfect.

First of all, I had finally found friends who accepted me for who I was. Eloise, Amelie, Pj, Chris, Phil, and most of all, Dan. However, the thing that made my life so amazingly wonderful is the love I have for Dan, and the love he returns. It's a special sort of love that only some people are lucky enough to find.

I don't see how I could be so lucky. I watched my mother drown my brother then kill herself. I watched my Aunt undergo years of abuse for the sake of her children and two nieces. Yet, I'm lucky. I found the love.

I woke up with my arms wrapped around Dan. He had spent the night, again, but I wasn't complaining. In fact, I liked it better when he stayed the night. He helped me sleep better.

I pushed myself out of bed, careful not to disturb Dan. He stayed fast asleep, snoring ever so slightly. I wandered into the kitchen and began a pot of coffee.

As soon as the aroma had spread throughout the house, I heard a thud come from the bedroom. Dan was up, and he was groggy. I laughed and he wandered down the hall and into the living room.

"I smell coffee," he sniffed, "If you wanted me up, it worked.

"Works every time," I mumbled.

Dan smiled. He rounded the island to wrap his arms around my waist. I smiled as he placed a kiss on the crook of my neck. He rested his head on my shoulder and smiled as I made the coffee.

"We should do something today," he stated.

I lifted an eyebrow, "And what would that be?"

"Let's go to the Zoo," he replied.

"But you hate the outdoors."

"That doesn't mean I hate animals," he smiled, "Come on, it would be just the two of us. A perfect date."

I chuckled, "Alright, let's go to the zoo."

Dan cheered. I continued to make the coffee as he started on pancakes. He had this weird love of the fluffy breakfast food. To be honest, I loved it as well. Especially his pancakes, they were to die for.

When he finished, he set two plates of pancakes on the island in the middle of the kitchen. I set the mugs of coffee next to each plate. He sat on one stool as I sat on the other.

When we finished eating, it was time to get ready. I changed into blue jean shorts and a blue Ravenclaw tank. I brushed my hair back and put on a baseball cap.

When I exited the bedroom, Dan was waiting on the couch. He wore a black tee over khaki shorts. Normally, he wouldn't wear shorts, but this day was an exception. London was in the middle of a heat wave. If he went to the zoo in jeans, he would get heat stroke.

"Ready?" he asked, standing up.

I nodded. As we left, he flung an arm around my shoulders. We locked the door, and headed down to call a cab.

...

When we arrived at the Zoo, we found the line to get in was shorter than expected. I guess other people decided not to come on a hot day like this. We got in relatively quick.

The animals were loud. The monkeys were constantly howling, and the birds were shrieking with all their might. Occasionally the lions would roar, or the wolves would howl.

Other than that, it was peaceful. There was a small koi pond, which was Dan's favorite part. My favorite part were the otters. They were so tranquil, floating about in their lazy river. They even held hands to avoid getting separated.

As we walked through the zoo, Dan and I took pictures of each animal. Sometimes there were selfies involved.

By the time we arrived at the elephant exhibit, we were tired. We found a bench in the shade and sat down. Dan threw his head back as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"This is tiring," he mumbled.

I nodded. We had only gone through half of the zoo, and we could continue on. The money spent on tickets weren't going to waste.

"Maia," Dan sighed, "I love you, so much. So, I have a question to ask you."

I looked up, "Go ahead."

"Well, eventually the phans are going to realize that I'm with you, not Phil. So, I thought it might be best if we announce it first, before they start hating," he explained.

I thought for a moment. Part of me didn't want to announce it, ever. Being with just Dan sounded good to me. But, I knew it would make him happy. So, I smiled and agreed.

His face brightened, "Awesome! Although, we don't have to do it if you feel uncomfortable."

I shook my head, "Let's do it."

Dan smiled. He grabbed his phone and selected a selfie the two of us did in front of the monkeys. One monkey was staring at us oddly.

"I'll tweet it, introducing you."

I nodded and watched him do it. He attached the picture and typed up the tweet quicker than I had ever seen it done.

The monkey seems interested in Maia's hair. Woah, monkey, back off. She's mine.

When he tweeted, he looked at me worriedly. I smiled and hugged his shoulders.

"Now it's officially official," he hugged my waist.

We sat like that for a moment longer. I felt good just falling asleep in his arms. But, there was more animals to see. We got up, and began to walk.

Dan's phone was going off non-stop. They were replies to his tweet. He checked everyone, smiling and showing me some, while ignoring others. Obviously there was hate, I had expected as much. Something always bugged everybody.

Especially since their fans shipped Phan to their dying breath. They were convinced it was real. True, Dan and Phil loved each other, but it wasn't that kind of love. It was more like a best friend/brother type of love. Yet, according to the fans, that wasn't possible.

By the time we made it to the cat exhibit, I felt like I was going to fall over. Dan seemed tired as well. We both stopped and stared at the lions.

"I don't know about you, but I'm pooped," he admitted, "I vote we go home and binge on Netflix."

I giggled, "Sounds great to me. I might fall asleep on you."

He smiled. I'm fairly certain it was his smile that made me fall in love with him in the first place. It was so big and bright, it could cure even the coldest hearts.

"Come on, lovely," he smiled, "I'll give you a piggy back ride."

I lifted an eyebrow, "Dan, you don't need to do that. I can walk."

"But I don't want you to. Come on, Maia, please."

He pouted before I sighed. Why did he want to give me a ride so badly? I mean, my feet were aching and I felt like falling on my face, but that didn't mean he needed to carry me.

But, he insisted. In the end, I climbed up on a bench and onto his back. He held under my thighs as I wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

He trotted through the zoo, seemingly with no problems. The sun was setting in the sky, turning on the lamps lining the sidewalks. It gave an atmosphere of peace and serenity.

I rested my head on Dan's shoulder. He continued down the streets towards home. It wasn't that far.

"Dan," I mumbled.

"What?" he asked.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

With the rhythmic bouncing of Dan's steps and the calming bird noises coming from the trees, I slowly fell asleep. I mean, I did warn him.