Chapter Seventy Seven: Maia

I held Dan's arm as we stood in the living room. Phil was facing us. Ever since Howl left, Phil has slowly been becoming sadder and sadder. I think he could've gotten over the hump when we went to visit here in a week or two, if Eloise hadn't have had a complete break down.

I was worried about her. It wasn't like her to refuse to talk to anyone. The only person she's willing to talk to is Phil. He says the whole fighting with Pj strained what was already fragile. When Howl left, that completely snapped.

"I don't get it," Dan closed his eyes, "I've known Elly for years, she's never been sad."

Phil sighed, "She doesn't like to talk about it, I'm the only one she'll really open up to. That's why we're so close. She's had a lot happen to her in her life. People, they've, well, they've hurt her."

I knitted my eyebrows. She's never told me anything about this. I don't blame her. Secrets are meant to be kept. I never told her about my family.

"What did they do?" I asked.

Phil cast his eyes down, "I would rather not answer. Let's just say, she has ample reason to be down."

Dan and I exchanged glances. He seemed just as worried as I was, but neither of us topped Phil. Dan knew it to, Phil needed help.

"Phil, when's the last time you slept?" I asked.

Phil blinked, "Last night."

"How long?"

"A few hours," he ran his hand through his hair, "After Howl left, and the whole situation with Eloise, I just can't."

Dan stepped forward and rested a hand on Phil's shoulder, "Or you won't. I know you Phil, you're making things worse by staying awake. Just go, get some sleep. Maia and I will make sure everything's alright here."

Phil gave Dan and grateful look before plodding off to bed. Once he was gone, I crossed my arms.

"I'm going to talk to her," I stated.

Dan shook his head, "Maia, I know you're her best friend, but I don't think that'll help."

"Somebody needs to get in there," I frowned, "And it can't be Phil. Besides, I think I can help."

Dan sighed, fully knowing he wouldn't convince me otherwise. He simply nodded and let me walk down the hall.

I arrived at Eloise's temporary, what used to be Howl's, room. The door was shut tight, and not a single sound came from the inside. I stepped inside to see the lights were on, and Eloise was gone.

"Eloise?" I asked, "Where are you?"

"In the closet."

Her voice was muffled. I went to the white door and slowly opened it. Sitting on the floor was Eloise, completely cocooned in a comforter. Her laptop was in front of her, the cord trailing out from under the door.

There were videos playing in a loop. A lot of them featured her. I recognized her and Phil as babies from the video they made together. She seemed to watch them without realizing what was happening.

I crouched to sit next to her. Sitting on the floor was harder for me. With two kids in your stomach, a lot of simple tasks become much harder. It would all be worth it, though.

"What're you watching?" I asked.

She didn't move anything but her lips, "Old home videos."

"Do you want to talk?" I asked.

Eloise sighed, "I don't know. I feel bad locking myself in the closet, I feel bad for dragging Phil down with me. But, now he won't let me leave."

"You shouldn't leave," I replied, "It'll just make things worse."

"How, Maia?" she spun her head around to me, "People have told me all my life that I was an accident. My own parents almost gave me up for adoption, but Phil stopped them. You, Dan, Howl, and Phil are the only people who've ever seen me as more than a mistake. Something to be pounded until it breaks."

She buried her head in her knees. I had to wonder what the people told her to make her feel like this. And how long it's been going on.

"That's not true," I smiled, "Eloise, you have one million people from around the world who adore you! I've seen them rush up to hug you. They see you as so much more than a mistake."

Eloise glanced up at me, "But they just like me for who I am on camera."

"And who you are off," I smiled, "You also have Amelie and Chris. They love you. And, you have two godchildren on the way."

Eloise giggled, "Two amazing godchildren."

I smiled. I couldn't tell if I was helping or not. She would hardly look up from her laptop. I scooted to wrap my arm around her shoulder. This was exactly what she did when I found out I was pregnant. It made me feel better, so I had to hope it would do the same for her.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, "I just, I feel as if my presence is making everyone's lives much worse."

I shook my head, "Eloise, can you not see? Your life doesn't make anyone's worse. If you weren't here, Phil wouldn't have his favorite sister-"

"I'm his only sister," Eloise continued, showing a bit of her old sarcasm.

"Shut up and let me continue, I'm being inspirational," I grinned, "If you weren't here, I never would've met Dan, and I wouldn't be a mother. Without you, Amelie would've had to stay with Chris, or go home, when he asked her to marry him. Without you, I wouldn't have a best friend."

Eloise smiled. Her mouth was buried in the comforter, so I couldn't actually see it, but I could tell by her eyes. They got just a bit brighter.

"This is silly," she mumbled, "I shouldn't be so depressed."

I hugged her shoulders, "It's alright. This whole situation is messed up. Howl leaving, Pj-"

I was cut off. Her eyes went dark again. Oh no, was I not supposed to mention Pj? She was getting better.

"He told me he didn't love me," Eloise mumbled.

I squeezed her shoulders, "He's confused. Dan told me, he's never lived with anyone else before. He's never been in love before. Maybe he just doesn't know how to handle it. Maybe it scares him."

"This is a pretty shitty way to show his love," Eloise giggled.

I smiled, "Yeah, you're not wrong there."

We both chuckled for a few minutes. When we calmed down, Eloise closed her laptop. She looked at me and smiled, "I suppose I should go rejoin humanity. Thanks, Maia."

"Hey," I smiled, "What're best friends for?"

She stood up and turned to help me up. When I was up, I pulled her into a hug. I could feel her smile against my shoulder.

We walked to the living room together. Dan was there, trying to pull the shutters closed. When he heard us come in, he turned around and smiled.

"Well," he grinned at Eloise, "The caveman does still exist."

She sneered at him, "Look who's talking."

They both grinned at each other. Dan pulled her into a hug.

"Good to have you back, Elly."

"Jesus Christ," she mumbled, "Do you have a phobia against calling me by my real name?!"

Dan rolled his eyes, "Fine, Eloise Marionette Lester."

"Touche, Daniel James Howell," Eloise glared back at him.

"Break it up you two," I giggled, "There's no need to get testy."

Eloise pointed at Dan, "He started it!"

"Yeah, sure, she'll definitely believe that."

"Are you sure you want to marry this thing?" Eloise gestured to Dan, who sneered at her.

"Yes," I replied, "Now, let's get some food. I'm starving."