chapter 18

I woke up with Riley still in my arms and my heart feeling light. It was six in the morning but I didn't move to get ready just yet. Riley was sleeping peacefully on me and I didn't want to wake her just yet. She was still in my arms and I was happy. I didn't think I would find that in here but I would do anything and everything in my power to keep it that way. To protect her and Tabi and the people here. Nothing was going to stop me. Riley started to stir and wake up. She cuddles deeper into me before pushing herself up to give me a good morning kiss. Just when our lips touch Tabi yell gross and ran away from us. I laugh and Riley got up to get ready. I also get up to get ready and headed out to the lunchroom to see a laughing Tabi in Riley's arms. I walked up to them and kiss both of them on the cheeks. After eating I wanted to send some people on a scouting mission throughout the city and to meet up with Victor and Lucy to see how they were doing. I let Jimmy and Claire make the groups and I told Riley that she could come with me if she wanted to. She smiles and said "yes". I look at Tabi to tell we were heading out but she looked mad. "I want to go with you guys too," she said in her high pitch voice. "I'm sorry girlie you can't this time but when you learn how to fight let's see okay," I told her and she nodded her head.

After that Riley and I headed out to BMCC. we were walking out in the open. The area was pretty safe because of how much the crew is out keeping it safe. Well I mean it was going to get as safe as we can get it. Every day we see more of them and I fear that more freaks we come. Until then that day would wait and I will help all those that I can with my strength. I didn't notice it but I felt Riley squeeze my hand to bring me from my thoughts. "What's up?" she asks me. "Nothing I was just thinking about the freaks and what's going on in my body and how I have to tell the other two leaders about it," I said. I really didn't want to tell them but I know keeping things from them wouldn't be good. Rily squeeze my hand again and kiss my cheek. I blush at that simple act of affection and squeeze her hand back looking away. She laughs at my shyness and I wanted to hear her laugh more. We were half where they when I hear a noise. I stop and Riley stops as well. She pulls out her bat and I pull out mine as well. My sense were a lot sharper now and I could hear better and smell better but I still had the same eyesight. As we go closer I didn't smell anything wrong and I hear soft cries. "Riley I hear crying" I whisper to her. She looks at me and put her bat down and we made our way to the noise. After following the noise into a store I saw two little kids holding onto each other tightly.

One of them looked up and I saw the fear in her eyes as she clings to the little boy. "Hey kid what's your name," I said in a gentle voice. I got down to their level to speak to them. She was shaking hard and held on tightly to the little boy." go away you're just like the bad people" she said in her tiny voice. I sat down and Riley did the same. "I'm not with any bad people I just want to help see." and I pull out some food and water and set it on the floor showing my good intention. She looked at me and then at the food. She didn't let go of the boy but she grabs the water and gave it to him first then she took a big drink herself. As they ate I question them. I ask where they were from and why they were alone then it happen. I felt a tingling sensation before we all heard the howl of a freak. I jump up to my feet and told Riley to grab the kids and run. She nodded and I radio lucy to let her know I am going to take on the freak that howls. It was close, I could feel it. I left Riley but before I did I gave her my Baretta then sprinted to the howling freak.

A few block over I saw something that brought back memories. I saw a women howling in pain just like Allen when he was changing. I couldn't think of him. I ran towards the women and saw the pain in her eyes. I felt my body burning and I took out my machete and plugged it deep into her head. I hear her skull cracking and the blood spare out and onto me. I saw the life drain from her eye for I was on top of her with my weapon deep in her, to make she didn't come back I twisted it into her before I pull out my machete. I stood up and over this person. This could have been a sister, mother, wife and anything to someone and I took them away from them or they already lost everything in this hell. But it didn't matter because I wasn't going to let a freak run these streets. I radio Lucy telling her the freak is dead and that I'll be there soon to talk to her. She replies back saying she understands and is looking forward to seeing me. I needed to find Riley. My body was still on fire but I know it was only because I was worry about Riley. After a few minutes of looking, I find them, well more like they find me. Riley put the kids down and ran towards me. She stops in front of me looking over me making sure I didn't have any deep cuts. I look up and she looked me in the eyes and I saw the worry in them then she got mad. "What the fuck Jackie! I know you're the only one who can take care of them but damn it I was worried as fuck!" she said to me. I just smile at her.