chapter 30

"I did it!" yells one of the navy guys. "Did what ?" I ask him. "I got the radio to work!" he said. I got up and rushing to him. "Alright send out a single or something" I yell. "Alright boss," he said and fire up the radio. At first, nothing happened and I just look at him like him like he lost his damn mind. I was about to say something when a voice came through. "Fucking shit I got separated from my partner and there was another explosion. Damn it why isn't anyone picking up I got a kid with me he's badly hurt....hello is this damn thing working! This is the LAPD officer Haley Santiago anyone in fire and rescue there!?" Holy crap I thought to myself. It's happening all over again. Someone is trying to create more growlers. "Hello this is office Haley Santiago is anyone there!?" she question. "Hello I'm here but I don't think I can help you," I said into the mic. "Who are you and why is that?" she questions. "Well for one I am in new york city and I know exactly what's happening to you," I told her. "Whoa, I thought the city was lost to some strange sickness," she said. "Well that's a load of shit, on January 10th there was an explosion here in the city and soon after that the dead started walking and anyone that was bitten or in your case in range of the bomb is already dead and gone. We don't call them zombies that just cliche, so we started calling them growlers, tickers, and freaks," I told her. She then told me about the first three bombs and then this. From her story, it sounded like it happened all within 72 hours from each other.

We spoke and I told her all I know and how the Army try to kill me but she didn't believe me. So I told her to wait and see. I told her to watch the kid she was with. I could tell she was a caring person but her world just became a shitty one. "So Jackie how did you manage to survive" Haley ask me. "Well, I can tell you what I did in the first week. I ran and hid from everyone and everything. But soon I ran out of basic things went outside. Then I meet the three brothers that are my right hand. Jimmy, Zac, and Erin. then after some time, they grew on me like they were my own brothers. I taught them everything they know and I am still teaching them. Then after some time and exploring and looking for supplies I find some more people and more growlers. Then I find a kid, her name is Tabi and now I am her mom. They is another leader and she is cool." I told her more about how I got bitten by fighting someone who changed before my eyes and how I try to end my life but then I fell in love. I told her of the betrayal and of not just my will but my crew will live. " One more question Jackie," she said. "You got bit and now your thing but still human how come you aren't the cure?" she asks me. "It's a simple answer really. From what the seven told me this virus was man made so a cure is something that can't be obtained through simple means and even if we could those who are already dead can't come back and those who were bitten have to take the cure within hours of it won't help them"I told her.

She seems to think about my answer. Then she started to speak again but then the radio just suddenly cuts off. "What the fuck," I said. They was no tone or static from the mic. "What's going on fixing it" I shouted. "I'll try to boss," said James I believe his name was. After ten minutes. "No can do boss something is blocking our single to get out," he said. Fuck I mumble and walked away. We finally get word to the outside world and everything thinks we are sick and dying when in reality we are dying but staying dead. And we learn that this isn't over. Whoever is doing this wanted more dead to raise from some unknown reason. But no matter what happens I know Santiago will be ok. I feel it. I needed to calm down and remain calm. So I went to the place that calms me down the most and that was the rooftop.

After a while, I was greeted by the brother and Claire. "What's up guys," I said. "Nothing mush boss just letting you know that whoever is out there we'll find them and show them how fucked they are," said Jimmy. I laugh. "We heard you got through to the outside and that it's happening someplace else now too," said Claire. "Yeah, it's where I was born, California," I said. We all stood up and walk to the far side of the roof to get a view of the water and that gray wall. I know in my heart we will get out of here and I will raise hell to whoever did this to my city, to the people I now call friends and to my family.

It has almost been a year since this all started and now it was happening on the west coast. I hope everyone gets to see what is really happening. I want everyone to know that this sickness is a lie. I want the people to find out even if it's the hard way. Because in one day my life and everyone life since then has been hell. I went from some simple anti-social nerd to a leader of a group to being this half human half freak thing that made me something more. Something that our government wanted some bad that they sent someone in to kill for it. That lead to a leader of a group dying by my own hands. Well if they want it the person who creates these things needs to come themselves. No one it getting me without a fight. No one is taking me away without my family and friends taking them down. They can send all the men they want but that will only bring them death. Soon I will break out of these walls and kill whoever is responsible for this. One day I'll free my people and lucy's people to reunite with love one but until that day I need to live and fight.

The sun will soon set on my day but I know I will be here tomorrow. Fighting for that day and to live for tomorrow. And nothing will stop me or my crew. Everything they put in front of us will only make us stronger and our hatred grow. 

_________________________________________________

i just wanted to thank everyone who read this. 

so thank you. 

-j